- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2018, 09:01 PM

Default First real disappointment

Today I rigged and trimmed upper and lower cowl, then measured and match drilled the piano hinges upper and side. For the first time in my build I felt disappointed in the quality of the Vans solution to this problem. Trying to push those pins with one hand inserted into the oil check door is a horror. I expect this will need to be done dozens of times in the future. So I searched the archives and read about Skybolt fasteners. I have a quickbuild fuse so the piano hinge is already on the fuse side. Is it feasible and reasonable to do the Skybolt fasteners on the upper cowl? I have no problem with the piano hinges on the side.
Thanks for any insight.
Greg Beckner
N557GB
Old 11-04-2018, 09:15 PM

Take a look at an RV-10. The top cowl to firewall pins are a MUCH better system on the -10 that could be used on any of the other models.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:20 PM

This topic is likely to raise strong opinions on both sides - the Van's solution is either loved or hated, and not just on the RV-14 as it's been around awhile. I went with the stock build here, and as promised by many, the pins have gotten easier with time. The Van's solution can work, and you end up with a great looking cowl when you are done - IMHO much better looking than screws or camlocs. Use all the plans suggestions including: heavily taper the end of the pin, put a major bend/curve into the pin to help it guide itself around the corner, use boelube generously every time you remove the pins. The biggest drawback I have found is it can be hot in there shortly after a shutdown, but still doable.

RV-14A Builder - kit #136, XP-400 Aero Sport Power
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, >350 hrs
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 11/2017
Old 11-04-2018, 09:23 PM

That's what I did on my QB fuse, worked great. Just be careful to get the spacing right near the motor mount bolts
RV-14A #140158 flying
Old 11-04-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaVee47 View Post
Today I rigged and trimmed upper and lower cowl, then measured and match drilled the piano hinges upper and side. For the first time in my build I felt disappointed in the quality of the Vans solution to this problem. Trying to push those pins with one hand inserted into the oil check door is a horror. I expect this will need to be done dozens of times in the future. So I searched the archives and read about Skybolt fasteners. I have a quickbuild fuse so the piano hinge is already on the fuse side. Is it feasible and reasonable to do the Skybolt fasteners on the upper cowl? I have no problem with the piano hinges on the side.
Thanks for any insight.
Greg Beckner
N557GB
Greetings.

Consider using VAF's search feature (or better yet, Google's specific site search) to find examples of what you're looking for.

See here for Skybolt quarter turn fasteners on upper cowl of an RV-14A:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...41&postcount=6
Old 11-05-2018, 03:05 AM

Default Solutions

Hi

During the initial build of my 4 the hinges along the length of the cowl were a nightmare. I persevered with them and now think they are great.

However, I did not want a hole in the top of the cowl to access hinges at the top of the firewall and put sky bolt fasteners there.

Good luck with the build whatever you choose to do.

Steve Arnold
England

In completion stage of Loehle P5151
Built and now Flying G.BVLR Vans RV4
Rebuilt G.BDBD Tailwind
Rebuilt G BVTN Kitfox
Built G CDCD RV9A with WAM120
Riveted wings on Glastar G.LEZZ Now (G. SKUA)
Old 11-05-2018, 05:52 AM

I didn’t like the piano hinges in that location at first but now I can get them in and out in about 30 seconds. Boelube helps and the parts wear in a bit. Also make sure you have tapered the hinge locations called out in the instructions, that helped a lot.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!

Last edited by bkervaski : 11-05-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
I didnít like the piano hinges in that location at first but now I can get them in and out in about 30 seconds. Boelube helps and the parts wear in a bit. Also make sure you have tapered the ones called out in the instructions, that helped a lot.
Just an opinion, but I like the pins as well. They are low cost and clean. Instead of boelube I use a telfon lube from autozone. It goes on wet then drys to white teflon power. It does not get my hands dirty during install/removal. Take the time to bend the pins very close to the firewall curvature and they work easily.
RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 250+
2018 Dues Paid
Old 11-05-2018, 07:25 AM

Initially the pins are a real PITA, as the cowlings eventually find their happy place the pin extraction and installation becomes very quick and easy. The real beauty of the system is the very clean cowl lines which are one of the trademarks of the RV. A good dry lubricant at each removal will make life much easier. On both my -6 and -7, after about 100 hrs. the pins begin to work quite smoothly.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 170+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
1941 J3 Cub skis floats.
2019 dues gladly paid.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Instead of boelube I use a telfon lube from autozone.
This is a great idea, wish I thought of it.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!