VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-02-2018, 04:03 PM

Default Twisted Back Seat Panel

Yesterday I built the rear seat backs and installed. One of the seats (left side only) somehow developed a "twist" in it and will not freely rest on back brace evenly. (One side has a gap while the other is resting on brace.)

Is this fixable by simply drilling out the rivets and re-doing with new rivets while paying better attention to it laying flat while riveting? Or is it more complicated than that? (Like starting over with new parts?)
Flying Mooney M20J
Emp Kit Completed, Section 29 done, Tail Cone Attached, QB Wings delivered and stored for now.
Dues Happily Paid 2018
Old 11-02-2018, 04:25 PM

You probably could hold it flat and re-rivet. But...

What happens if you sit in the seat and lean back? Does it relax to the right shape? If so, I might not worry about it.

And before I worried much about it, I'd clamp it to something and lean on it a bit. This isn't a highly refined aerodynamic surface after all...
2019(?) RV-10
Old 11-02-2018, 04:44 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but was too big a sissy to say out loud...
Old 11-02-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
You probably could hold it flat and re-rivet. But...

What happens if you sit in the seat and lean back? Does it relax to the right shape? If so, I might not worry about it.

And before I worried much about it, I'd clamp it to something and lean on it a bit. This isn't a highly refined aerodynamic surface after all...
I tried leaning on it, and got some of the twist out, but not all. It'll probably "rattle" in flight if I leave as is just due to vibrations. I could velcro it down, but if re-riveting can take twist out so it'll lay flat, I think I'll spend the time to try.
Flying Mooney M20J
Emp Kit Completed, Section 29 done, Tail Cone Attached, QB Wings delivered and stored for now.
Dues Happily Paid 2018
Old 11-02-2018, 09:10 PM

Leave the seat back in the bottom hinge. Pull it away from the back brace a couple inches holding it at the top and twist it flat by pulling with your right hand while pushing with your left. With a little persuasion you should have no trouble getting it to seat flat at the brace.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 11-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GT View Post
Leave the seat back in the bottom hinge. Pull it away from the back brace a couple inches holding it at the top and twist it flat by pulling with your right hand while pushing with your left. With a little persuasion you should have no trouble getting it to seat flat at the brace.
Tried this already, with little change. Today, tried it again and applied force until I thought something was going to "pull apart" from twisting so hard. But, it worked this time! Now it nestles in nice and flat!

Sometimes the simplest of solutions don't seem as simple when you're in the midst of the problem. Thanks to all for responding.
Flying Mooney M20J
Dues Happily Paid 2018
Old 11-03-2018, 10:40 PM

I was going to offer you mine. I have two assembled seat backs I won't be needing since I bought some aftermarket rear seat backs a short while ago from the classifieds here. If they'd help, let me know.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 11-04-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
I was going to offer you mine. I have two assembled seat backs I won't be needing since I bought some aftermarket rear seat backs a short while ago from the classifieds here. If they'd help, let me know.
Thanks for offer! Very generous. Got the seats painted yesterday, all is good now!
Flying Mooney M20J
Dues Happily Paid 2018