VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-31-2018, 03:17 PM

Default Wingtip fitting...

I've been working on getting my right wing buttoned up and have only a few tasks to go. I got the autopilot roll servo installed and wired yesterday and was moving along with the aileron trim servo when I realized that the little black box was dead. The good news is that Ray Allen is replacing it immediately, gratis (really nice guy over there!). The bad news is that I won't be riveting those bottom skins until the replacement arrives. No point installing it through an inspection panel opening if I can avoid it...

So, back to the left wing today. Aileron mounted, bellcrank, torque tube, & both pushrods set to their neutral positions and torqued. I spent a little time puzzling over the apparent trailing-edge up attitude of the aileron when set to neutral before realizing that this was the normal, much-discussed, reflex position. Awesome, a "problem" that doesn't require a solution!

On to wingtip fitting - and a question. With the inner flanges trimmed in accordance with the manual and the wingtip properly positioned on the wing (wingtip leading edge fully snugged down into the leading edge skin), there's about 3/16" of the wingtip trailing edge sticking out aft of the aileron trailing edge. There's absolutely no more room to move the wingtip farther forward (when I apply any more force with the ratchet strap, the wingtip tries to buckle), so this appears to be the wingtip's final position.

Should I sand the wingtip trailing edge straight across? There appears to be enough glass there to do so without springing it open, but that just doesn't seem right somehow. Thoughts?

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
RV-14A #140494 (Fuselage underway)
N114KB (reserved)
Old 10-31-2018, 03:48 PM

Trim to match the trailing edges of the ailerons. Straight edge to draw a line then dremel then sand.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)
VAF 2017 and 2018 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 10-31-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
The bad news is that I won't be riveting those bottom skins until the replacement arrives. No point installing it through an inspection panel opening if I can avoid it...

Thoughts?
Where are you installing the R/A servo then? If you are thinking of some other place, other than the recommended inspection plate, make sure it is some where that you can still reach it easily for maintenance. If it died once, there is no reason that it won't again so how will you replace it if not easily reachable?
Old 10-31-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Where are you installing the R/A servo then? If you are thinking of some other place, other than the recommended inspection plate, make sure it is some where that you can still reach it easily for maintenance. If it died once, there is no reason that it won't again so how will you replace it if not easily reachable?
No, I'm definitely putting it in the standard location. Since I've already installed my torque tube-to-bellcrank pushrod, however, I'd prefer to complete the trim servo install without removing it. I can do that prior to riveting the bottom skins, since marking/drilling/riveting access to that pushrod (for the spring retainer clips) will be far less limited than afterward. That is to say, while still installing the servo on the inspection plate, I don't want to complete the installation process through the inspection plate.

Believe me, I'm not looking to do anything weird or "off-plans" with this airplane. I'm all about less work now and more efficient maintenance later.

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
N114KB (reserved)
Old 10-31-2018, 05:15 PM

Same experience on my build.

Marked a scribe line to match aileron/flap trailing edge position:

Hacked off the wing tip trailing edge with the Dremel to that line, then sanded the edge smooth and straight with a sanding block:

Strengthened the joint between the two halves from the inside (poured epoxy into the joint):

They both look fine after-the-fact:

Best pic I have showing the alignment on the wing:

A friend of mine opted to "blend" his wingtip trailing edge by cutting a more curved line from inboard-to-outboard (kind of matches the RV-6 wingtip).

Last edited by RV-14E : 10-31-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-14E View Post
A friend of mine opted to "blend" his wingtip trailing edge by cutting a more curved line from inboard-to-outboard (kind of matches the RV-6 wingtip).
This is also what I have done but as your pix show, there is very little to trim (less than a quarter) so I am not sure if the curve will be seen without the aid of a straight edge

Nice work E, I admire your work and also documentation. so many good pictures of the build.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:15 PM

That side profile of the plane is a thing of beauty!
Construction log: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaZ...Uv2rlQsHtdRmmg
Donation Paid (military)
Old 10-31-2018, 08:29 PM

Default +1

Quote:
Nice work E, I admire your work and also documentation. so many good pictures of the build.
+1 Ditto!
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned
Old 10-31-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Me, too. Yours is the best (very thoroughly documented!) of the top three or four -14(A) build sites and one to which I refer several times each week.

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
N114KB (reserved)
Old 11-01-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by didja View Post
That side profile of the plane is a thing of beauty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
+1 Ditto!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
Me, too. Yours is the best (very thoroughly documented!) of the top three or four -14(A) build sites and one to which I refer several times each week.
Gentlemen,

Very kind, thank you. I am pleased you find my blog useful. Such sentiments make time I spent nourishing the blog worth-the-while.