- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
So is there a rule of thumb for that "percent power setting"?
65%, and it's not a hard limit, merely a recommendation.

Quote:
I would love to run LOP but my engine starts to spit and sputter if I try to go any leaner than peak.
Then don't.

Personally I think roughness is about the only bad thing you can cause with a mixture knob at 9500 feet.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrcrmatt View Post
I've always wanted to try it in the climb, but the window to hit seems pretty narrow and always moving. Leaving it WOT and using fuel to control power means flying it like a diesel! If only we could actually get a good compression ignition engine.
Most of these folks are flying Rockets or light angle valve RVs with really good power to weight ratios. They actually use the prop pitch more to regulate power than mixture and the EFI controls the AFR while you climb and descend automatically.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 424.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 10-22-2018, 05:13 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how crazy LOP discussions get. My take away from reading this thread is "everyone, please, pay attention to what Dan H. is saying here. His input is what makes clear sense without all the mythology".

One thing that I think is exceedingly useful in getting past the mythology is to have direct access to A/F ratio. I have an article coming out in Kitplanes in a couple of months on my experience adding A/F ratio direct data (a display in my panel that I tune to my desired ratios for particular operating regimes), and it is a wonderful way to really know where you are operating, rather than the crazy dance of finding peak EGT, then leaning or enriching either side of stoichiometric mixture. And to pre-empt an uprising about how leaded gas trashes oxygen sensors, there are some sensors available that are tolerant to LL levels, particularly if running LOP.

Reinhard Metz
Old 10-22-2018, 05:28 PM

I don’t believe % power indications from an engine monitor will be accurate when LOP, at least the GRT’s use a Lycoming % power table that goes out the window when LOP.
15.7 x fuel flow / rated HP works when LOP.
Edit: that works with 8.5:1 compression ratio, I don’t know the number for others C/R’s
Tim Andres
Old 10-22-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2542 View Post
I don’t believe % power indications from an engine monitor will be accurate when LOP, at least the GRT’s use a Lycoming % power table that goes out the window when LOP.
15.7 x fuel flow / rated HP works when LOP.
Edit: that works with 8.5:1 compression ratio, I don’t know the number for others C/R’s
Tim Andres
Dynon's EMS units attempt to calculate % Power correctly when LOP:

http://preflight.dynonavionics.com/2...dynon-way.html
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 10-22-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Dynon's EMS units attempt to calculate % Power correctly when LOP:

http://preflight.dynonavionics.com/2...dynon-way.html
Thanks for the link. I always wondered what they were taking into account for the % power calcs.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 424.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 10-22-2018, 07:13 PM

I think that it is very important to understand these concepts and know what our machines can do. However, glancing through the latest (excellent) KitPlanes buyers guide has reinforced the idea that while every airplane design is somewhat of a compromise, there are still a wide variety of worthy missions and aircraft designed to fulfill them. An RV10 in particular is a marvelous machine, but I wouldn’t classify it as an economy ride.

If one has chosen a fast design, paid for a fast design, built a fast design, then by golly, it seems to me they ought to enjoy opening her up and letting the big dog eat.

Nobody buys a Corvette to drive like a Prius.
RV-10 BPE, Dynon, Airflow systems A/C
First flight May 10, 2014
Old 10-22-2018, 09:16 PM

Reading all the post and doing some more read up on the red box theory, it has been very informative and helpful. I realize my mistakes and misunderstandings. Looking forward to my next flight and LOP. Thanks to everyone!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrcrmatt View Post
I've always wanted to try it in the climb, but the window to hit seems pretty narrow and always moving. Leaving it WOT and using fuel to control power means flying it like a diesel! If only we could actually get a good compression ignition engine.
I do LOP climbs when not in a hurry or when it's cool, producing more power. Don't be afraid, just pull the mixture to known LOP EGTs. The window doesn't move fast and it's not as dangerous as some would have you believe to be outside the window for short periods. Just keep leaning as you climb to maintain your target EGT. I tend to move to LOP climb after 3000' to avoid some risks.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 10-22-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
I'd be interested in the reasons the VE changes with CHT as well.
This question seems to have gotten forgotten as the thread moved along. I think what happens is that there is some conduction heating of the intake tubes from the cylinders that heats the intake charge as it flows through the intake tubes toward the cylinder.

I have certainly noticed that if I go LOP at top of climb and lean to a target fuel flow and expected EGT and CHT, then check back a little while later, there has been further drop in EGT and CHT both -- because it is now farther LOP. I usually just leave it, because exactly as Dan says, if it is running smoothly, it is fine.

While I am climbing at 100F or so ROP so the EGT's are lower, the CHT's are higher than the stabilized cruise LOP CHT's. So at top of climb, the cylinders are hotter than they will be once stabilized. After a few minutes at cruise, the cylinders are cooler, and so presumably the intake tubes are cooler too, so there is denser charge which makes it leaner for the same mixture lever position.

Make sense?
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 515 in 9 years (would have flown more this year if not for fire smoke)
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Dec 2017