What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Minimum Aileron Clearance

ShortSnorter

Well Known Member
I have two questions, both related to the aileron rigging:

1. What is the minimum clearance required between the aileron and the hinge brackets as seen below (The other side has 1/8")?

11w9ber.jpg

2. Stupid question, but just want to confirm: Is the entire hardware assembly (bolt, washer(s), bushing, nut) supposed to rotate as one with the aileron? In other words, with everything tightened down, the two washers are sandwiching the bearing which is moving about the race.

vhdkzd.jpg

Thanks!

1: not entirely sure of design spec, but my 6 has 1/32-1/16 (haven't measured it) in one place, I believe, with no rubbing or binding issues. The mounting is pretty ridged. Both of the 063 brackets (being riveted together, they are effectively 1/8" pieces for bending purposes) on both sides would have to bend 1/32 before contact and I don't believe there is a lot of side load on the ailerons. The bearing would fall out of the race before it moved that much in side to side motion. I just replaced one of those bearings that wore out and all of the movement seemed to radial and not axial.

2: yes

Last edited:
Clearance

Clearance should be fine if it doesn’t flex.

Bolt, washers, spacer will not rotate. Bearing will.

Back