- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2018, 01:09 PM

Greetings,

A few unrelated observations. I am not suggesting these are structural concerns as I lack the qualifications to make that determination. However, they speak to an awareness of technique which you may want to consider as you progress through your build.

1) Your MK-319-BS rivet on the top appears to have been set not at an angle normal to the surface of the skin (top of image). It's as though it was aligned normal to the table on which the elevator was placed when the rivet was pulled. You can see this if you were to draw a line colinear with the length axis of the rivet. See how that line is not orthogonal to the skin on the top of the image?

2) For the bottom AN426AD3-3.5 rivet, it appears that the dimple may be cracked on the right side (or it could have just been the primer separating due to expansion when the rivet was set).

3) The shape of the shop head is like a trapezoid (the top of the shop head is flatter than the base) suggesting it may have been prematurely work-hardened during riveting.

4) The top face of the bottom dimple is out of plane with the bottom flange of the rib. See how it has angle from left-to-right (the right side of the dimple sits higher than the left)? It suggests that during dimpling, the rib was at an angle relative to the dimple dies (dice?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulde35d View Post
Old 10-16-2018, 01:39 PM

Default Unrelated Observations

Yes, it was a tight spot at an odd angle. Sometimes you get what you get.

On a side note, the instructions call out MK-319-BS rivets for the aft 4 holes of the inboard spar. I was able to sneak in 3 solid rivets and only 1 blind MK-319-BS rivet. I am pretty proud of that accomplishment. I am also sure the imperfect solid rivets will hold better than a perfect MK-319_BS rivet.

If your wondering how I got into this tight angle, I taped a 3/16" piece of flat polished steel to my tungsten bucking bar (which added mass in my hand) and fit the flat steel in this very tight spot. I think it worked pretty well considering the tough angles.
RV-14A #140512: Empennage in Progress
Old 10-17-2018, 12:34 PM

Default Trailing edge alinment

Hi,
IMHO as an observation of the photos presented.
Regarding the top photo:-
It may be an optical illusion but if you follow both the lines of the rib flanges I would say that the meeting point would be about about a wedge thickness higher. ie the wedge is sitting about a thickness low of the trail of the elevator skins. Could this be why the trailing edge is distorted and needs rebonding in correct position.
Reg number reserved: G-RVSK
Donation made for 2018