Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2018, 03:21 PM

There is a 14 Excel inventory floating around which is great for searching the bags you haven’t emptied. A search should find it.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
Harbor Freight has some great 6x12" parts trays,with lids that work. I use about 6-7 of them.
For each part, fuselage, finish, etc I use 2 flat sort boxes 1 small and one larger from Harbor Freight. And I did not label the box I left and labels on the packaging but it has a clear top.
Larry

RapidsetBuildings.com (Hangars)
Advertiser
RV-14 tail, QB Fuselage, Finish kit, QB wings ordered
Grateful to pay dues 18'

Old 10-14-2018, 10:52 AM

Kind of OT, but for what itís worth, I am glad to have my work bench on lockable castors so that I can move it around. I have a very small shop, but even so it is useful to move the work surface closer to whatever part of the project I am working on.
Finish Kit in work
2018 dues gladly paid
Old 10-14-2018, 11:32 AM

Thumbs up Work bench

Be shure to put down indoor carpet on top and over the edges of the work bench.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:53 PM

I use a very simple system. The hardware comes in little paper bags, each with a number. I cut the top of the bag off, leaving the bag number.
The bags get placed on a large tray in numerical order. The pick sheets are left with the tray.
It is very easy to do inventory and then to find the parts during the build. Cheap and effective

2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 10-15-2018, 07:18 PM

The biggest advice I can give you is to go through the inventory with a partner. My wife verbally called out the individual part numbers as she opened them while I checked them off of the packing list. That saved tons of time because I could stare at the list and didn't have to go back and forth. It probably saved many boring hours. For what it's worth, there were a few items that I couldn't find (and a handful that were actually omitted). There are some lead counter balances that are individually called out in the packing list. Mine were wrapped in paper and plastic on the side of Sub Kit #1 (spars). Because they weren't called out under Sub Kit #1, I missed them until talking with Van's customer service. It's my fault for not pulling apart Sub Kit #1, but at the time I didn't want to because it is 9 feet long. Don't worry about pulling that one apart because the first part in the plans is in there.

As others have said, keep the Sub Kits together in little piles. I bought some cheap storage cabinets for the Sub Kits. I think 36 inches wide X 18 inches deep worked well. Finally, I put the large panels back in the crate with a tarp covering them. I also put the tail-cone pieces in my basement because they are out of the way and I won't need them for a while.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:54 PM

Default Organization

7a but concepts apply.
When you get to wings, fuse, etc the number of parts is huge. Develop a process now.
Everyone works different.
I entered the entire inventory into an Excel spreadsheet. Easy to search and easy to add a location in my shop. Easy to find anything. For 7(a) builders, it's on my blog.
I have four mini drawer cabinets. Bolts, washers, nuts, misc.
Rivets are in small water bottles. Pop rivets are in prescription bottles. Baskets keep them separated. Large stuff went various places depending on shape. Flat parts are easy to locate in a folded cardboard. Bins work for smaller stuff.
Inventory was a two person process. One counting, one on the computer. Only a bolt or two were not found and Vans replaced them.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.