- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2018, 04:06 AM

Default inventory and sorting parts

Hey Builders,

I am expecting my RV-14 empennage kit to arrive next wednesday.
As this will be my first build I am not quite sure how to sort my parts so I don't have to spend have of my build time searching some part.

What is your favorite sorting system?

Best,
Malte
Old 10-13-2018, 04:29 AM

Your emp kit will arrive with parts bundled together in "sub-kits". Parts will be shrink wrapped together and listed on the parts inventory list in that same grouping. I found it easiest to keep these "sub-kits" together after unwrapping from the shrink wrap to inventory when I placed them on my storage shelf. Whenever a part number is called out, I could look it up on my parts inventory list to see which sub-kit it was located in, and then go to the storage shelf where I placed that sub-kit and sort through those parts.

What ever system you do decide to use, keeping that system is greatly beneficial to cutting down search time later, as you pointed out! Organization skills will improve your experience tremendously!

Good luck with your build!
Construction log: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaZ...Uv2rlQsHtdRmmg
Donation Paid (military)
Old 10-13-2018, 07:30 AM

What Scott said. Also when doing inventory I would take the fasteners (rivets, bolts, washers, screws, nuts, nut plates, etc.) and put them in labeled bin trays. That way when you need them just go to the tray instead of looking for a bag number and then having to search the part.
RV14A #140083
Wings, empennage, fuselage and finish very, very slow builds completed. Avionics and engine installed.
Down to last 90%.
2017 Donation
Old 10-13-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom023 View Post
What Scott said. Also when doing inventory I would take the fasteners (rivets, bolts, washers, screws, nuts, nut plates, etc.) and put them in labeled bin trays. That way when you need them just go to the tray instead of looking for a bag number and then having to search the part.
A good time to check nut plates for proper sizes and see that they have threads too.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Old 10-13-2018, 09:38 AM

As others have mentioned, I separate standard parts like bolts/nuts etc into labeled bins. Same for rivets (side note - Van's often puts small amounts of a given size rivets in different "bags", as well as screws. Across a kit, you'll find more of the same common sizes - like AN3 bolts / locknuts, common rivets in multiple bags. Putting all these together makes it easier to find them when using during the build). Other parts go into bins or on shelves, or perhaps under a bed!

As I check off each item on the inventory, I note on the inventory sheet where I stored the part (or subkit in some cases). Much easier to find if you note where you put them!
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 10-13-2018, 12:11 PM

Smile Parts

Harbor Freight has some great 6x12" parts trays,with lids that work. I use about 6-7 of them.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didja View Post
Your emp kit will arrive with parts bundled together in "sub-kits". Parts will be shrink wrapped together and listed on the parts inventory list in that same grouping. I found it easiest to keep these "sub-kits" together after unwrapping from the shrink wrap to inventory when I placed them on my storage shelf. Whenever a part number is called out, I could look it up on my parts inventory list to see which sub-kit it was located in, and then go to the storage shelf where I placed that sub-kit and sort through those parts.
Great advice! Thank you!
Also I think I'll put rivets etc. in a separate sorting system as I'll need them for multiple sub-kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
Harbor Freight has some great 6x12" parts trays,with lids that work. I use about 6-7 of them.
I think I'll wait for the kit to arrive and then buy the trays that I think I'll need. Stood in front of them a few times, yet, but didn't know which sizes I'd need.

Looking forward to the kit arrival. I'm currently working on my workbenches

Last edited by mjanduda : 10-13-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:56 PM

I keep my rivets in empty small plastic water bottles. Some sizes need to go in the larger bottles. All get labeled.

If dropped, they don't scatter all over the floor.

A small funnel is sometimes handy for getting them into the bottles.

Dave
RV-3B building
Old 10-13-2018, 01:02 PM

If possible, have a bit of an overhang on the workbenches so that you can clamp to that. I like 1.5".

I use that double-sided white melamine-faced particle board that's used in cabinets for the worktops. It's smooth and reasonably hard, yet easily drilled if necessary. Easy to clean until it becomes too stained. Then just flip it over.

To let it be flipped, I make cross-pieces that fit snugly in at the ends of the frames and which are screwed to the top. They hold the top securely and the top can be lifted out easily. Flip it, relocate the cross-pieces to the new bottom and reinstall.

See this thread for the whole scheme.

Dave
Old 10-13-2018, 02:14 PM

With the empennage kit, I laid out the parts generally on a sheet of plywood sitting atop a pair of sawhorses. I learned from that... With the fuselage kit, I bought three sets of plastic shelving units from Menards or Lowes and stuck a label on each shelf: 140, 141, 142, and on up. Then I put all the F-0140_ parts on the 140 shelf, etc. There are some non F parts and some parts from other its like the RV-12 or RV-10, and the big skins and other bulky parts went on my improvised plywood table. This has worked well. The empennage kit has different part categories (E, R, VS, HS, and F being the main groups) but you can still find a good way to organize it. I find that having the parts organized by part number makes finding them very quick, compared to ever having to look up which subkit a part was in.

I got a set of little bins for rivets and two tackle boxes for AN3 and AN4 hardware. There are a few parts bags sitting on one of my shelves, so I do occasionally have to pull out the kit inventory list to figure out which bag number an AN6 bolt, nut plate, or uncommon rivet is hiding in. But mostly I spend far less time finding parts than I did with the empennage kit.