- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
I didn't build my own harness so I would have had to thought about the transponder in the back earlier. Good idea though, I'll do that on my RV-8 build!

Mounting the GSU 25 on the little left bracket once everything in was a real challenge. I got it... well 3 out of the 4 screws at least. I don't think it's going anywhere.

Now onto sorting through the wires and figuring out where to put adels, ziptie bases, ect..
The GSU 25 needs to be mounted solid as possible for best performance.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 08-05-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I often mount the xpdr behind the aft bulkhead, benefit is this allows me to put the antenna on the aft fuse and keep the xpdr cable short, also allows easy access.
Walt,

I am going through this decision now. Rear mount is pretty easy, but puts 5 pounds or so aft. I have been thinking of keeping as much weight forward as possible to extend my baggage/passenger capacity and I think you followed a similar approach.

Curious your thought process here. I already will have two PC680's in the aft area.

Larry
Old 08-05-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
SNIP..
I already will have two PC680's in the aft area.

Larry
Just a consideration. Two PC-625 batteries fit better, are a little lighter and have a bit more Amp-Hours and CCA than two PC-680 batteries.

I installed the two PC-625s in my RV-10 (flying for six years) in the aft location, and remotely mounted the SkyView ADS-B receiver there as well (just a few ounces). W&B works out fine for solo to four people and bags. Using stock IO-540 and Hartzell CS prop.

Carl
Old 08-05-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Walt,

I am going through this decision now. Rear mount is pretty easy, but puts 5 pounds or so aft. I have been thinking of keeping as much weight forward as possible to extend my baggage/passenger capacity and I think you followed a similar approach.

Curious your thought process here. I already will have two PC680's in the aft area.

Larry
GTX45R is 2.9 lbs, I think most 10's can afford that. A big plus is improved output power and reception do to the antenna cable being kept as short as possible and away from the other com antennas. Easy access and good ventilation doesn't hurt either.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 08-05-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Just a consideration. Two PC-625 batteries fit better, are a little lighter and have a bit more Amp-Hours and CCA than two PC-680 batteries.

I installed the two PC-625s in my RV-10 (flying for six years) in the aft location, and remotely mounted the SkyView ADS-B receiver there as well (just a few ounces). W&B works out fine for solo to four people and bags. Using stock IO-540 and Hartzell CS prop.

Carl
Thanks Carl. I am actually using the PS 12180's (same size as 680). They are 18 A/hrs and 12.8 #'s. So very similar to the 625.

Larry
Old 08-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
GTX45R is 2.9 lbs, I think most 10's can afford that. A big plus is improved output power and reception do to the antenna cable being kept as short as possible and away from the other com antennas. Easy access and good ventilation doesn't hurt either.
Thanks Walt. I have the GTX 23, which is 4.5#'s. I already mounted the antenna under the front seat. Maybe I will fill those holes in and re-mount the antenna in the back. There was already a doubler there and I filled in the holes (original emp builder was going to but an MB antenna back there). On second thought, that probably won't make the 3' minimum distance.

Larry
Old 08-05-2018, 02:40 PM

This is how I mounted everything in a recent -10. The transponder if to he right of the right rib in a hole in the sub-Panel so it slides out aft.

RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
This is how I mounted everything in a recent -10. The transponder if to he right of the right rib in a hole in the sub-Panel so it slides out aft.

Thanks for sharing. an interesting approach.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:40 PM

I didnít think about letting the plugs hang below the subpanel. I did however put Adel clips in similiar places.
Donated for 2018
Old 08-07-2018, 12:20 PM

Keep in mind the 45R is blue tooth and the antenna is on the unit’s face. It also need to be facing toward you and in range for the blue tooth reception. I cut a slot in the sub panel, reenforced the cut out and installed the tray. The tray mounts to the aluminum angle installed on the sub panel, and with a bracket attached to the rear of the tray and one of the panel ribs. I positioned it so when I remove the 460 touch, the transponder clears the panel cut out for the touch screen . The tray is mounted horizontal in the sub panel.