Originally Posted by Stockmanreef
I am about to install the FM-150 and I have a question. I assume that one needs to buy the following kit from Airflow performance.
This will have all the parts need to put on the FM-150 and the parts to hook up the controllers. Is there anything else I will need.
My real question is why did this kit not come with the engine from Lycoming? Or was I supposed to get it with the engine? It is confusing to me that this kit was not included from Lycoming when purchased.
The other thing you will need to do is modify the snorkel. The FM-150 servo needs a spacer between it and the engine to allow throttle and mixture cables to move through their full range. This moves the attach point of the snorkel forward from the standard Van's location. Look up Nova RV's excellent post on how to modify the snorkel (here: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=162451
). I used this method and it worked well - I found the easiest way to get it right was to mount the snorkel while doing the first round of modification, get the position tacked into place with some strips of fiberglass, then remove and finish up. Of course this took many rounds of shaping and fitting as per usual. I put some photos here: https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2019...er-switch.html
Final note on snorkel: I had to cut a lug off my starter to clear the snorkel, but I switched from the standard light-weight starter to the "NL" version (Jeff at Thunderbolt mounted for me prior to shipping) so may not apply in your case. It's not hard to do - I just used an oscillating blade type cutter and then ground it down/smoothed it out. Instructions are included in the starter manual IIRC.
Also - once you get the kit to mount throttle and mixture cables, carefully look at the routing of the cables - especially mixture - with exhaust in place. I had to tweak the mixture cable routing to keep clear of exhaust and used both firesleeve and one of Antisplat's heat shields to protect that cable. Also had to adjust the throttle and mixture arms on the servo to clear the rod ends and get full adjustment range on the controls - easy to do but lots of tweaking. Important note: the photos on my blog are not the final mounting locations - I was able to move the rod end to top of the arm by tweaking the arm angle so the photo in the post above is not how it ended up. I didn't like the angle of the rod end from the mounting plate as shown in photos on the blog.
As far as the "why" the only thing I can suggest is that some builders may want to take their own approach to this - like ordering different cables, etc. Note my mention of the mixture cable routing: if I had thought about this more before mounting the exhaust, I might have ordered a different length cable and routed it differently. It worked out fine but took some work to do.