- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimd View Post
Ron B. Mentioned this spot but nobody offered a method for this. The problem I see/have is getting a mushroom set close enough to the bracket to set it. Is there a long stem mushroom set or something else to get at this spot? The gun, even with the spring removed is too bulky to fit close enough to the bracket to get on the head of the rivet. Anyone want to share their solution?

Thanks

Jim
Greetings.

It's possible with a mushroom set, but it's tough to do. When I caused a dent in that area, I tried using a 12" long backrivet set on the manufactured head to clear the flap bracket, yet caused another dent. I put those rivet sets aside in favor of another approach...

I used a longer flush rivet set when I did my bottom skins. This is a 5.5" flush set with a 5/8" surface obtained used from Yardstore. They don't appear to carry it any more, but it looks like Brown Tool has the 5.5" flush set. Yardstore also 3.5" and 7.5" long flush sets. The latter is probably too short as it may not fully clear the bracket.

Here I am riveting the left outboard bracket with that 5.5" long straight rivet set.

Last edited by RV-14E : 11-07-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:06 AM

Default Edit-

I had an offset cup set and I had already ground for another issue so I prepared that for this task, but. I ended up removing the retainer spring from the 3X gun and used a mushroom set WHITHOUT a rubber guard so I could get as close to the flap bracket. This worked okay, not ideal but good enough. I would want just a bit better or easier method if this were on top.

Jim

"Flying north of the Arctic Circle and back - several thousand dollars,

Doing it in an RV you built yourself - PRICELESS!"
Old 11-08-2018, 09:53 PM

Default That’s cool

Is it me but Emerit’s technique looked good but the fact he got to build inside the house is more amazing to me.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:10 AM

Same problem on the RV-10 and RV-14. This is what I did and recommend:
- Take a 1/2” x 1” or so piece of .125 aluminum, run the edges over your scotchbrite wheel.
- Drill a #30 hole biased to one side. Use your deburring tool to make a small countersink on one side. Insert a just slight linger round head rivet and set so that the shop head is flush with the back side of the aluminum. Buff smooth.
- Add clear packing tape on the back side.
- Tape your now finished custom rivet tool over the rivet you want to set. Have the round head right over it.
- Use your long round head rivet set and drive the rivet.
- Repeat as needed.

Carl

Last edited by Carl Froehlich : 11-09-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:19 AM

Don’t throw away that custom rivet tool. I’ll rent it from you for a six pack of Sierra Nevada......
Old 11-10-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
- Take a 1/2” x 1” or so piece of .125 aluminum, run the edges over your scotchbrite wheel.
- Drill a #30 hole biased to one side. Use your deburring tool to make a small countersink on one side. Insert a just slight linger round head rivet and set so that the shop head is flush with the back side of the aluminum. Buff smooth.
- Tape your now finished custom rivet tool over the rivet you want to set. Have the round head right over it.
- Repeat as needed.

Carl
Now that is out of the box thinking!
Old 11-11-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
- Repeat as needed.

Carl
Carl, I am having a hard time visualizing the above. Do you have a photo you can share re the above.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77bonanza View Post
Carl, I am having a hard time visualizing the above. Do you have a photo you can share re the above.

Thanks.
Ditto, would love to understand this. +1
VAF dues paid monthly
ty.connell@gmail.com
N997TL reserved
RV-9(A?) empennage in progress
Old 11-11-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77bonanza View Post

Thanks.
On the road but will take photos of making one. Think really simple and you will be there.

Carl
Old 11-11-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
- Repeat as needed.
That is absolutely brilliant! Wish I'd thought of it before doing my bottom wing skins. Mine came out OK (they'll look fine under paint!), but undoubtedly not as nice as yours. Great idea!

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
RV-14A #140494 (Fuselage underway)
N114KB (reserved)