- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n982sx View Post
There are two tools for the 14, which is the airplane he is posting about. They are used at the same time and one sets the neutral position of the bell crank and one sets the position of the aileron in the reflex position.

Do what the manual says, it works perfectly. You can do it on or off the plane. It makes no difference since the tools are the reference to use. I did it off the plane and installed the wing tip.

When installing the wings and attaching the push rods to the sticks I confirmed the position of the ailerons with the tool while adjusting the length of the push rods to attach to the sticks in the neutral position. The push rod between the bell crank and the aileron needed no adjustment from the adjustment I made while the wings were in the wing stand.

Worked perfectly.
Exactly right. Folks who don't have firsthand experience with a -14(A) kit should refrain from answering tech questions based on their assumptions of similarity with their own RV model. That sort of well-intentioned, but misguided advice only leads to confusion for inexperienced builders.

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
RV-14A #140494 (Fuselage underway)
N114KB (reserved)
Old 10-29-2018, 09:48 AM

I used the jigs to set the bell cranks in the wings while on the wing stand. When I put the wings on the plane, retracted the flaps, adjusted ailerons, with elevator neutral, and the tips did not line up perfectly. Adjustments were required to the trailing edge of the wing tips. There is NO time saved by installing the tips while on the wing stand. It might work out perfectly, but if it does not you will have screws, or worse yet hinges attached in the wrong spot.
This was the same on both the 10 and 14 that I have built. Wait
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 10-29-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
If by "tool" you mean the jig that goes on the bell crank, let me repeat. That tool does NOT set the proper aileron position. It sets the neutral position of the bell crank. You then put the aileron in the proper position by adjusting the rod between the aileron and the bell crank, with the jig installed. You need a reference for aileron position - either the flap or the template.

I cannot imagine this data is not in the manual.

Larry
It is hopefully obvious by now, that experience with one model of RV doesn't necessarily translate to giving detailed build advice about all other models....
but don't feel bad, I see this a lot in the forums (I.E., RV-6 builders posting non-relevant build advice in the RV-12 section). It is always a good idea to confirm what aircraft model or section of the forum the thread is in.

This thread is in the RV-14 forum, and the RV-14 does indeed have some newer ways of dealing with aileron rigging.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-29-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
I used the jigs to set the bell cranks in the wings while on the wing stand. When I put the wings on the plane, retracted the flaps, adjusted ailerons, with elevator neutral, and the tips did not line up perfectly.
It baffles me how does elevator in neutral position gets used to set up the aileron position in a RV14?
Old 10-29-2018, 11:08 AM

As the stick moves for and aft it changes the pull, or push, or the ailerons slightly. If you line up everything perfectly with elevators neutral in flight condition, when you tie you airplane, tail dragger, down with the stick back, the ailerons will not line up with the flaps. This is different from the other RVs

The RV 10 is the same
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 10-29-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
This is different from the other RVs
This phenomenon exists to some degree on all of the side by side RV's, but it is more noticeable on the 10 and 14 because the push/pull tube connected to the base of the stick is much shorter than it is for the others.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-29-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
It is hopefully obvious by now, that experience with one model of RV doesn't necessarily translate to giving detailed build advice about all other models....
but don't feel bad, I see this a lot in the forums (I.E., RV-6 builders posting non-relevant build advice in the RV-12 section). It is always a good idea to confirm what aircraft model or section of the forum the thread is in.

This thread is in the RV-14 forum, and the RV-14 does indeed have some newer ways of dealing with aileron rigging.
I understand and was carefull to indicate that my experience would not necessarily directly translate to the 14 and more research was necessary. I encouraged him to call Van's and read the manual. Just didn't want to see him make a mistake he would regret.

Larry
Old 10-29-2018, 12:58 PM

I attached my wing tips when I built the 7A onto the wing while they were on the wing stand. The Tip was inserted into the end of the Wing. There was no adjustment to the Tip at all.

I am building a 14, can the Tip be adjusted up or down before it is secured to the Wing?
From the conservation, it sounds like they can be adjusted, as been said to set flaps then Ailerons, then the Wing Tips.
Did I misunderstand?

RV-7A N1243A Sold
#140479 RV-14A N1479B Reserved
Old 10-29-2018, 01:02 PM

Be careful of doing all the glass work on the trailing edge in the cradle if using the hinges for the tips. I did, and when I trial fit the wings for the first time I had to recut and glass due to a small amount of sag. With the aileron tool in place and the flaps matching the ailerons, the tip trailing edge is a perfect match. Now lets hope it flies straight like that.
http://www.mykitlog.com/MikeMike

2017 Donation gladly paid.