Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-19-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-14E View Post

Then I executed the mistake: I decided to "test fit" the second fitting in the other port (the one with the ruined threads in the picture above) without sealant (I didn't want to have to clean and reapply sealant if I had to back out the fitting with sealant initially) to gauge the torque. When the fitting started to grind (with surprisingly little torque), I backed it out to find the damage shown.
Thanks for adding the additional details.
They are important to understanding why your issue occurred and show that an aluminum fitting in an aluminum oil cooler isn't automatically a disaster waiting to happen.
(not arguing the fact that a steel fitting is a bit more forgiving)

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-19-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Thanks for adding the additional details.
They are important to understanding why your issue occurred and show that an aluminum fitting in an aluminum oil cooler isn't automatically a disaster waiting to happen.
(not arguing the fact that a steel fitting is a bit more forgiving)
Fair. The additional details were critical and should have been included.

It's worth nothing from page 5-34 (bolded shown on that page):

"While the manual has been crafted in such a way as to minimize contradictions between the instructions provided by Van's and the instructions provided with a part/assembly that is included in the kit (wheels and brakes for example), should there be an instance where the instructions from Van's contradict the instructions provided with a particular kit component, those of the component manufacturer shall take precedence over those provided by Van's."
Old 10-19-2018, 09:07 PM

When torquing the hoses to these steel fittings what is the right torque? I think it is a lot higher according to my handbook but it seems very high compared to the aluminum torque values.