VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Traditional Aircraft Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2017, 02:18 AM

An easier way to check internal timing.....

Rotate the engine so the piston in number one cylinder is positioned at top dead center on the compression stroke. Remove the rocker box cover from number two cylinder.

Engine timing is checked by first observing the number two cylinder valve rocker arms. Both valves should be closed or nearly closed. The next step is to move the propeller slightly in one direction. Rocker arm motion should be seen as one valve starts to open.
STOP. Now rotate the engine back to the original position with the #1 TDC mark again aligned with the split in the crankshaft halves. Both valves should again be closed or nearly closed. Now move the propeller slightly in the direction opposite from the first movement. Rocker arm motion should again be seen as the other valve starts to open. If the two valves started to open as described with only a small amount of engine movement in each direction, the engine timing is correct.

It may be simpler to rock the propeller slightly with a back and forth motion while observing that first one valve and then the other will start too pen. If movement in either direction exceeds twenty degrees of engine rotation before motion of the rocker arm occurs, the crankshaft to camshaft timing is not correct.
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 10-23-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
Had to google...

The Three Investigators is an American juvenile detective book series first ... as the " three investigators" are three boys named Jupiter Jones, Peter Crenshaw and Bob Andrews.

I didn't catch the original reference, but these were huge books of my youth. My Mom still has a box full of all my books in her attic.

rvblog.thebrices.com
Old 10-23-2017, 08:48 AM

Default It ain't over 'till it's over

Best you check the piston/valve clearance - the slightest lil' touch of a valve to the piston is cause for parts replacement....

Sorry to say, but it might be best to let Superior do a tear-down inspection on their dime.

"Not everyone needs a Rocket. Some folks, however, shouldn't live life without one.
You know who you are."
Budd Davisson, 1997
Old 10-23-2017, 10:39 AM

Looks to be retarded a good amount. It's a common practice in race motors to advance the cam a few degrees to find the peak power. You'll no doubt see a noticeable HP increase now that the cam timing is advanced to normal.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Boss View Post
Best you check the piston/valve clearance - the slightest lil' touch of a valve to the piston is cause for parts replacement....

Sorry to say, but it might be best to let Superior do a tear-down inspection on their dime.
im with mark on this one, nothing against superior, but my confidence in the engine build would be suspect at this time. that should have never gotten by the assembler. did he miss anything else?

bob burns
Old 10-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Well, the old saying: Never buy a Cessna built on a Monday....
Old 10-23-2017, 11:06 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasGlas View Post
Well, the old saying: Never buy a Cessna built on a Monday....
...or Friday afternoon...
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 11-04-2017, 12:39 AM

Default I think I read all of the books that were written prior to 1970 or so ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
I love the reference, but I bet only 1/100 RV'ers will get it.

And now I'm off to the airport in my chauffeur driven Rolls...
Probably my favorite series of books when i was young, except maybe the "We were there" series of historical fiction novels ...
Old 11-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasGlas View Post
Looks to be retarded a good amount. It's a common practice in race motors to advance the cam a few degrees to find the peak power. You'll no doubt see a noticeable HP increase now that the cam timing is advanced to normal.
You usually retard the cam for more top end power but it depends on many factors.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 416.6 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm