VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-01-2015, 08:57 PM

Default Tip Up Flip Over?

After reading the post about "sweet escape's" flip over (good to hear you two are OK) I would like to know if there is anyone who has been in a flip over with a tipper that would share the outcome? I am building a tail dragger with tipper and am a little concerned about the roll bar in the back. Will it keep the canopy from colapsing?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:08 PM

You can figure the canopy will shatter but the roll bar will hold up, based on the pictures I have seen of such things.

It is kind of an question if it is better have the roll bar right behind your head or in front of you. Some time back, someone posted a picture on this forum with a line drawn between the slider's roll bar and the top of the VS and a tip up with the line drawn from its roll bar to the top of the VS. In that diagram, the slider had more head room; however, I'm not sure that is a true representation of what will happen if you go over.

I'm sure someone else will comment on this.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 10-01-2015, 10:13 PM

Had a close friend flip his RV-6 tip-up. The roll bar, being almost exactly over his head gave great protection. He was able to break the canopy and slide out within seconds.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 10-01-2015, 10:20 PM

Don't know if it will help your concerns, but given the track record of the trike 2 seaters off airport, you're probably less at risk in your taildragger (assuming reasonable taildragger skills).

Charlie
Old 10-01-2015, 10:27 PM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot28906 View Post
After reading the post about "sweet escape's" flip over (good to hear you two are OK) I would like to know if there is anyone who has been in a flip over with a tipper that would share the outcome? I am building a tail dragger with tipper and am a little concerned about the roll bar in the back. Will it keep the canopy from colapsing?
Here is an account from my web archives of a tip-up which flipped in a field following a bird strike:

Bird Strike and Flip

The tip up roll bar is a very robust structure.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:37 PM

I have a tip up and love the unobstructed visibility. I do keep a hammer between the seats in case, heaven forbid, I ever need to break out. I imagine Van gave considerable thought to the strength of the roll bar.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:51 PM

Default Tip Up Flip Over

Quote:
I am sure the tip up still provides protection with the roll bar structure in the back. I am a tall person at 6'2" and my head sits high in the canopy. I have not had an incident like I experienced last week while in a tip up, however my thought is that if you draw a line from the top of the spinner to the top of the roll bar in the tip up canopy, you will find there is a lot less room that when you have the slider frame protecting you. Obviously the speed and impact of the tip over is also a factor to how much force there would be. Just my opinion after experiencing my tip over on 9/20/15.
2016 Dues Paid
Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...EN0CGxFlEm22VT
Old 10-01-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
You may also want to send Chuck Hagerty a message since he also had the same experience with a tip up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hagerty View Post
because my 7-A is a tip up and when I ended up in that position, the damage to both pilot and passenger was a bit more significant. Fortunately, I had good insurance and was able to have a reputable company restore the plane.
I've been through all the paperwork with insurance, FAA, and NTSB, so if I can help answer any questions, contact me off-line.
Again, so glad you both weren't hurt.
2016 Dues Paid
Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...EN0CGxFlEm22VT
Old 10-02-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2flypilot View Post
I am sure the tip up still provides protection with the roll bar structure in the back. I am a tall person at 6'2" and my head sits high in the canopy. I have not had an incident like I experienced last week while in a tip up, however my thought is that if you draw a line from the top of the spinner to the top of the roll bar in the tip up canopy, you will find there is a lot less room that when you have the slider frame protecting you. Obviously the speed and impact of the tip over is also a factor to how much force there would be. Just my opinion after experiencing my tip over on 9/20/15.
Byron,

Draw the line from the spinner to the top of the vertical stab instead. From the 7A tip over that a friend of mine in Maine rebuilt the VS took much of the blow.

Btw, it was also a tipper. The roll bar held up marvelously!

CJ
Old 10-02-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Don't know if it will help your concerns, but given the track record of the trike 2 seaters off airport, you're probably less at risk in your taildragger (assuming reasonable taildragger skills).

Charlie
Most all of the reports I have ever read ALL RVs (tailwheel or nose wheel) that land off airport will end up on their back.

Build it light and cheap