VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-21-2017, 07:13 PM

Default The madness deepens!

This is the left wing half way through the process.

Here is the left wing almost done.

The difficult task is not letting perfect get in the way of done.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:44 AM

And just think, you only have to wait 6 months before it'll need it again!

Old 10-22-2017, 04:38 PM

yes, I did that once... sort of, and then decided to paint.

Simplicity is the art in design.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:57 PM

I think about going to blue wings, 90% of bottom is colored. These are taken today after 3 years of no polishing. (Not perfect by any means but still turns heads) The great job youíre doing it should last long too.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:00 PM

The one thing it makes perfectly clear is the number of scratches made during construction. Every slip with a cleco makes a mark that really shows up as you run the polisher over it.

There is the deepening madness; do I run over that area again with F7, or maybe C. Maybe C then F7.....
Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 PM

Scott I have almost completed a RV 12 and I will be polishing some of the aircraft. Can you tell me what number you started with and your method please
West Chester Pa

[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]=VAF= Paid up 2017[/color]
Old 10-22-2017, 10:04 PM

Could you get it as close to perfect as your are prepared to accept and then clear coat it or clear wrap it? There are some very decent clear wraps available these days that are applied to very expensive vehicles that you wouldn't know were there!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:39 AM

Default The process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Vaughan View Post
Can you tell me what number you started with and your method please
I started by using CaliforniaCustom, a product that has been mentioned here on VAF. It is a product designed for many metals including aluminum. While going over the aircraft I quickly realized this was not going to get to the finish I wanted. In the first image on my original post the area of the wing to the right is after using CaliforniaCustom. To be fair I only went over the area once. Had you looked at the wing up close it looked pretty good but it was a little cloudy and yellowish. Had I made another pass with that product it would have been a better finish.

Then I switched to Nuvite products. A friend of mine has a polished Swift and he loaned me his Cyclo polisher and some Nuvite C and S. He gave me a five minute lesson on the size of area to work on and using the two products. I started with C and a compound polisher and went over the wing, working in small areas (2'x3' maybe.) In some areas I made two passes with Nuvite C. After going over the outboard half of the wing I switched to Nuvite S and the Cyclo polisher. Again, in a couple of areas, I went over it twice with the Cyclo and S. That got me to where I am today.

I believe that I should have gone over many of the areas of the wing with Nuvite F7. Orignally I believed using the CaliforniaCustom had done enough polishing that I could skip the step with F7. In my case that was a mistake. One thing I quickly learned is there are a lot more scratches on the surfaces than I thought; cleco marks around rivets, or marks from the wing rack and shipping marks (QB wings.) The polish will turn black as you work the with the compound polisher and get caught in every depression or scratch. All those scratches really show up and I had decided to polish early on during the build so I tried to be careful. Had I initially used F7 I would have reduce the number of passes I made with C and "healed" many of the scratches. From now on I will be using F7 in many areas.

If you haven't been to the website, check out http://www.perfectpolish.com that is where I purchased the Nuvite products. He also has some interesting information and a video about polishing aluminum.

Last edited by sahrens : 10-23-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhun View Post
Could you get it as close to perfect as your are prepared to accept and then clear coat it or clear wrap it? There are some very decent clear wraps available these days that are applied to very expensive vehicles that you wouldn't know were there!
I don't know about a clear wrap. I haven't explored that as a solution. I have read here and other locations that a clear coat won't work. One problem is getting it to stick to a polished surface.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:04 AM

Of course, didnít consider the clear coats adhesion.