Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-24-2017, 02:41 PM

Default manometer method

post deleted until I can check my math.

Last edited by snopercod : 07-24-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: double checking my math
Old 07-24-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilbur View Post
I did the balloon test. One for each tank. Then I got a third "control" balloon, blew it up to approximately the same size and tied it off as just a balloon. I left them in a quiet room in my house for several days. Theory: if the tank balloons change the same as the control balloon, no leaks.
Sorry; doesn't work that way. One has the air volume of the balloon; the other has the air volume of the balloon plus all the expanded or contracted air of the tank. All the tank variation shows up in the balloon.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:28 PM

Default Outstanding! Very clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoVuelo View Post
I tested my tanks using the manometer method. I waited till both were completed and set them up side by side on individual manometers. I "calibrated" the fluid level in each side so they were equal and then pressurized each tank to 27".<snip> . . . . they always tracked true with each other.
Perfect way to eliminate the guesswork. The odds are against two leaks exactly the same.

99% at the hangar now
Old 07-24-2017, 06:44 PM

Default Manometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoVuelo View Post
I tested my tanks using the manometer method. I waited till both were completed and set them up side by side on individual manometers. I "calibrated" the fluid level in each side so they were equal and then pressurized each tank to 27". You don't have to worry about over pressurizing the tanks as the water will just vent out of the manometer if you get carried away. I watched my tanks track within 1/2" of each other over three days. As they tracked together for that length of time, they are either leak free or both leak at the exact same rate. I'm working in an AZ hanger and saw some pretty wild swings with the daily temp changes, but they always tracked true with each other.
If the 5" change can't be explained by temperature, then I would suspect a leak in the tank or in your test system. I used a bit of fuel lube on all of the joints to ensure leak free connections.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pr5olsz13o...70518.JPG?dl=0
Same here. Mine were inside so fluctuations were minor. After a couple weeks, I called them good. They were both within 1/2" of where they started.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2016. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:25 PM

Default Soapy water and ballon test

The soapy water test has been working for 100 years

Dont make it harder than it has to be..if you have a leak it will show up.

https://youtu.be/BANMqZ35vYw
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.