VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-13-2017, 10:19 PM

I've used my 10 on three trips so far for the Flying Samaritans in support of their clinic in Baja, and the airplane has represented well and I've had a wonderful time.
RV-10 BPE, Dynon, Airflow systems A/C
First flight May 10, 2014
Old 05-05-2017, 07:37 AM

Default Angel Flight Central

I spoke with Angel Flight Central yesterday about using my RV-10 for patient transport. They said that their board had recently revisited the use experimentals but had decided to continue their existing policy of not allowing them.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:16 PM

Default Angel Flight Australia

Angel flight Australia has also placed the "No Experimemtal " on their list of aircraft types.
When I started building my RV10, they allowed Experimental Aircraft, but by the time I finished , they no longer support them.
To my knowledge, here in Oz, there was no incident or accident that lead to the exemption of Experimental Aircraft.

I read some time back about someone approaching Angel Flight with the intention of putting the Rv-10 in a special category for Angel Flight.
Something like ,

RV-10 IFR only with PIFR pilots
Min hull hours: 250hrs

In Australia , CASA records for 2015 show 48% of all NEW single engine aircraft registered were Experimental. This trend is only increasing.

So with the ever shrinking and deteriorating GA fleet, what will it take for Angel Flight to have enough comfort to let well equipped IFR RV-10's join the service.
I know it is a liability thing for Angel Flight, but the shear volume of flight hours that the RV-10 is amassing must mean something to them.

There are so many good aircraft with good pilots ready to serve,how can this be fixed ?
I wish I understood what sort of fuzzy legal letter they require so they can sleep at night !

Maybe some legal types here can offer a path forward.....
RV-10 #40597
Airflow Systems Air-Con
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...4&postcount=15
VH-XTE 400hrs +
Redcliffe,Brisbane
Australia
Photos : https://goo.gl/photos/zsfBeVofHMe4ze7i7

Last edited by Dustyone : 05-05-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: NEW registrations
Old 05-05-2017, 04:50 PM

They must have enough certified planes and pilots that they don't need to open it up to experimental.

There may be some practical reasons such as many experimentals are small and not the easiest to get in and out of - like 9 9A. I know the 10 or even the 14 are much more accommodating.

Angel Flight has to consider the feelings of the person being transported who may balk at getting into a plane built in a garage. If they qualify for Angel Flight, their medical condition is probably scaring the heck out of them already and don't want to add to their fear.

Personally, I believe a 10 or 14 is a much better choice than a 50 year old Cherokee or 172. I am amazed that 48% of all NEW single engine planes in Australia are experimental.

At some point, I can see them allowing experimental just because all the other planes are scrap.
O-320 D2A
Panel andWiring done
Final assembly and paint!

Last edited by rockwoodrv9 : 05-05-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:47 PM

Default NEW registrations

The latest data from CASA shows 48% of NEW registrations of single engine aircraft are Expermental.
Sorry for the misleading info, I have updated the post.
RV-10 #40597
Airflow Systems Air-Con
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...4&postcount=15
VH-XTE 400hrs +
Redcliffe,Brisbane
Australia
Photos : https://goo.gl/photos/zsfBeVofHMe4ze7i7
Old 05-21-2017, 11:24 AM

I have flown a few flight now in my RV7 and what the SE Angel flight loves is the speed that I can get the patient to the hospital city.

Except for a small foot stool to help them get onto the wing Nobody has had a problem getting into the aircraft or out.

I think time will teach the different boards of Angel flight and more and more will allow the use of experimental aircraft.

If you have made it IFR which is a requirement here in the SE Atlanta area
and you have kept your self up to date it is quite an accomplishment.

Lets hope more get real about experimental aircraft.

Jack
Corporate Pilot CFI-AI, MEL
Jack & Anita Hunt
N507H
KJZP Jasper, Georgia