What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowrance AM2000C or Garmin 296?

N941WR

Legacy Member
I have NEVER flown with a GPS before but would like to put one in my -9.

(Mostly because all the flying I have done in the last 15 years has been in antiques w/o electrical systems, just a reliable wet compass. Oh, and it is very hard to get lost when you are only going 90 mph)

Since my plane will be a VFR only ship I plan on using a handheld GPS but don't know enough about them to make an informed decision. The web pages are helpful but I don't know what I'm looking for so they really aren't that helpful.

Which should I go with?

The Lowrance AM2000C
or
the Garmin 296?

The Garmin seems most popular but is it really $800 better?

Bill,

I have not used the Garmin but I do have the Lowrance 2000c and am very pleased with it. The information displayed is user configurable and the display is very readable in direct sunlight conditions. I am very satisfied with this unit.

Jim
RV-6
N3718S

What's your Mission

What's your mission/requirements? The Garmin has a few more few more features beyond the aviation uses. Turn-by-turn routing for driving, marine navigation, a partial panel page that I've heard works pretty well, terrain warnings, etc. If those things are important to you, then the 296 is your best bet. If you want strictly an airspace navigation GPS, then you can save your money and get the Lowrance or AvMap. I'm looking into the Garmin 96c, also. I think the Lowrance is probably a better flying GPS at the same price, but the 96c has driving directions which would be useful to me. So many options so little $$!!

Here's a good comparison page: http://www.sportys.com/gps/

Last edited:
Don't forget the Airmap 1000

I have NEVER flown with a GPS before but would like to put one in my -9.

(Mostly because all the flying I have done in the last 15 years has been in antiques w/o electrical systems, just a reliable wet compass. Oh, and it is very hard to get lost when you are only going 90 mph)

Which should I go with?

The Lowrance AM2000C
or
the Garmin 296?

The Garmin seems most popular but is it really $800 better?

Bill, you are going to be blown away with the capabilities of a GPS unit! I found a GPS to be very useful when taking a J-3 x-country. With the low speed and small fuel tank, fuel management is greatly enhanced with the GPS info. If you get the Cub in an area of sparcely populated airports, the GPS can assist in figuring out which airport is in range.

Another GPS you might consider is the Lowrance Airmap 1000. This is a b/w display that is slightly larger than the 2000C but has similar capabilities. The b/w screen, unlike color displays, gets better as ambient light increases. The brighter the sunlight shining through our big canopies, the better the display looks.

I have been flying the 1000 since Sun-N-Fun this year. The show price was $495. But wait! Lowrance offers a trade-in credit for their older units, so I got $175 for sending in my six year-old Airmap 100. When you deduct the trade-in, and consider that the 1000 comes with $100 worth of RAM mounts, the 1000 represents an incredible bargain. Database updates are just $35 each.

The huge display with bold fonts is much easier for me to see than the smaller 100, and the new GPS was a plug-n-play with my power and autopilot since it uses the same connectors as the old 100. The 1000 obviously has a much more robust processor than the 100 because screen redraws are instantaneous.

The Garmins are fine units and you will be very impressed with whichever unit you settle on. After a few hours of acclimation to the GPS, you will marvel at how you used to navigate without it!
:)

Sam Buchanan

Last edited:
2000 vote

My buddy Subob just put 2 in his rv4 (front and rear) and cant stop talking about them. on 3 formation flights with a pax, I neveronce saw the pax ever look up. PLayed with it the whole time.

IF it were me, Id wait for the Garmin296 that is coming with xm wx. Now that will be a package to own for sure.

Mike

Lowrance Terrain and Turn By Turn $199.00

Lowrance will have an add on for Terrain awareness and a Turn-By-Turn option at a later date per Gulf Coast. It will cost $199.00.

GPS AIRmap 1000

Hi guys,

I have been using the Lowrance 1000 and love it. It uses an SD or mmc card on which you can load any maps you choose from the cd's included in the package for road cruisin'. It also, of course, has a Jepp database loaded. I use mine in the car and the plane. I would go with the new 2000 color model. In my opinion you get much more bang for the buck with Lowrance, but I have no doubt that you will be happy with Garmin or Lowrance.

Good luck!
Don

Some comments from a review in the Feb 05 issue of Kitplanes. I myself was leaning towards the Garmin 296, and this made up my mind, even when it was $200 more than it is now. However, one of my main purposes for upgrading from the old Garmin 195 was for it's terrain & terrain warning database.

Garmin -- 480*320 resolution , 256 color
Lowrance AirMap 2000c -- 320*240 , 256 color

"While the Lowrances's depiction of all things aviation is clear and concise, it's fewer pixels make the images seem blocky and slightly crude"

They went on to say that the Garmin was easier to distinguish Class B rings, as an example, from the clutter, with it's use of colors & detail. They also liked the Garmins ability to display a sectional-like depiction of airspace & terrain, using different colors for elevations.

L.Adamson

Garmin 296?

If you have never flown with GPS before, you are in for a treat. I first used a Magellan, which was simple compared to today?s units, but even that unit revolutioned flying for me. You spend a lot less time navigating on cross-countries and more time enjoying flying. That said, even with GPS, you should always have the appropriate chart, plan your flight beforehand, and know where you are on the chart at all times. I HAVE had GPS fail in flight a couple of times; it can happen. Always have a backup.

Most of my experience has been with the Garmin 295. It is wonderful. Generally speaking, the interface is good. You can navigate to the required functionality quickly, once you get the hang of it. The features I like the best and use the most are:
- Nearest Airports (this safety feature would justify a GPS alone)
- Favorites (you can save places you go to frequently, then you can quickly call them up and get steering to them)
- The color map, showing rivers, roads, Class B boundaries (very useful flying in vicinity of the Baltimore/Wash D.C. area like I do), etc.
- The airport database ? quickly find the runways, elevation, comm frequencies
- A trip timer
- Groundspeed, distance remaining, direct steering, etc.
- Although it?s not certified for IFR, it does contain IFR approaches which can assist you in getting to the final approach fix or for backup/cross-checking.

That said, the Garmin 295/296s aren?t perfect.
- Their screens are smaller than others on the market.
- I wish the process to select an airport, VOR, Intersection was faster. Currently you have to spell out each letter by cycling through the entire alphabet and zero through nine. That?s a lot of clicks. You can select an airport with the cursor, but that has it?s own problems if the airport is far away.
- If you are entering a Route, multiply the above by the number of waypoints.

I?ll probably be buying a 296 when my RV-7 comes on line because it?s the next generation 295. It has terrain and the screen refreshes much faster than the 295.

One function that I would really like to have but I don't think the 296 has it is a "glide ring". If you lose your engine, the GPS would show a circle indicating your max glide range. It knows you altitude, and you store some kind of data representing your aircraft's glide ration.

It?s hard to evaluate a GPS. It takes hours to get proficient with the one you own. Personally, I have to take the GPS home, sit down on the couch with it and the instructions, and play with it in the simulator mode, practicing every function. I probably practiced ten hours with the 295 before I felt comfortable with it. Years later, I?m still learn new things it can do. As has been said many times, in the air ? head down in the cockpit -- is not the time to try and learn your GPS.

So when you go to Oshkosh or Sun ?N Fun, and get your hands on a Lowrance, EKP-IV, 430 or an EFIS with a completely unknown interface, it?s like ? where do I even start? The salesmen only show you the glitzy stuff ? big screen, high resolution, terrain ? but ask them to show you how to lay in a Route, update the route on the fly, lookup the comm and runway info on an alternate, etc., you might get a blank stare. There?s almost always a crowd around the avionics, so you might have five minutes to play with the unit.

Probably the best thing would be to find someone who has and is proficient with a unit you?re interested in see if you can get them to spend a couple of hours with you demonstrating the basic functionality.

If you?re new to GPS, just getting used to the basic functionality will take time. The fancy features will go over your head at first. You must learn to walk before you can run. You may even want to buy a cheap, used older unit, to get used to the basics, then you?ll be better prepared to evaluate the state-of-the-art units.

Hope this helps,

Back