VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-15-2014, 05:36 PM

Default Thanks for the Help!

While trying to fly from Greenville, SC to Pearland, TX today I stopped midway at my normal cheap fuel stop, 2R0, and proceeded on with full tanks.

I knew the Houston area was having some bad weather but expected to get closer before stopping for the night. However, I didn't expect to run into a wall of clouds at Columbia-Marion County airport, MS (0R0) just a few minutes after departing 2R0.

After a quick call to the wife to let her know where I was going to overnight my phone rang. My buddy Radomir (Another member of this forum.) called and asked why I stopped. He had been following me on www.flightradar24.com.

When I explained that the weather was bad and getting worse he jumped on his computer and suggested I try to make it at least as far as Lafayette, LA. He performed a detailed weather check and found that if it was safe to depart 0R0, then I would have high ceilings and good visibility for the 130 miles it would take me to get to Lafayette.

Sure enough, after climbing in and taking off in the drizzle, the rain stopped and the sky cleared about three miles southwest of Columbia-Marion.

With 45 minutes to think about where to land I kept looking at the blue airport (Lafayette) that the SkyView was heading towards and realized I really didn't want to land at a big airport with a storm coming in. My thought was that it might be easier to find a hangar at a magenta airport. So, I arrowed over to St. Landry Parish - Ahart (OPL) and hit "Direct To".

Upon landing I noticed a nice RV-12 that was getting a rubdown prior to being pushed into a big gang hangar. As I walked up to them to ask where I could leave the -9 for the night Bob Gordon, RV-6 builder and VAF member, walked out of the hangar and introduced himself.

After talking RV's they helped me put the -9 in the big gang hangar and Bob was kind enough to give me a ride to a local hotel and pointed out a good Cajun restaurant.

It is always a pleasure to go adventuring as you never know who you will meet and the friends you will make.

Once the weather clears in the morning, I will finish the trip to Texas.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 03-15-2014, 07:21 PM

Glad you are taken care of by fellow RVators. Today I flew on an opposite direction as you did and left the bad stuff behind. Looks like the cold front is going to pass you in the early afternoon. Be safe!
Ted Chang, VAF #681
RV-9A #91048, flying since 8/2006. 2,050 hrs.

2018 Due paid
Old 03-15-2014, 10:03 PM

The OPL folks were very helpful when I stopped (both directions) on chrismas trip to Houston. Fuel was very affordable too.
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page
Old 03-16-2014, 11:11 AM

Bill, I nearly bought that FBO in the late 80's. I was looking to make a very small fortune an even a smaller one. Nice place and great people down there. Less than 100 miles from my home town.

Fly safe.
RV7 slider - First flight 5/3/14
Phase I complete 7/10/14
Havin' fun after Phase one!
N516RC

http://websites.expercraft.com/rvrc/
Old 03-16-2014, 02:55 PM

Default Always a pleasure

to help fellow RVers. John and Marla Richard had just arrived in their RV12 after trying to get to Gulfport, MS. They stopped in Hammond, LA and turned back as KGPT went IFR. I had just finished some local work - checked to see if the house was still there - yup it was.

We enjoyed Bill's visit and were able to slide his ship into our "legacy" hanger. Stop on by anytime. We have a seafood gumbo fly-in in the fall and a BBQ fly-in during springtime. Airport is in good shape and the Parish is working hard in maintaining it. New hangars going in this year also.

Enjoyed it Bill!
Old 03-16-2014, 06:39 PM

Thanks again Bob! it was good meeting all of you, including your wife.

I will keep your fall fly in on my list!

BTW, the flight to LVJ was uneventful. slipped right in between the two fronts. Easy VFR all the way and only a few sprinkles.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Have you found hanagr space at LVJ Bill?
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 09-07-2018, 07:17 AM

And in the "Aviation is a small world" category, Bob Gordon parked his RV next to mine here at Triple Tree.
SC86 - Easley, SC