What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Metal snap-in hole cover

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
As the Van's build manual says, wheel pants "lead a hard, hard life". My nosegear wheelpant has gotten a bit abused around the hole where the tow bar goes on (not by me...always by some gorilla at an FBO grrrr), and I'd like to just cover them with something like a metal bezel that I can snap in.

I'm thinking something like the snap-in hole covers (e.g., the one on the firewall for the nosegear bolt access), but larger OD and ideally with a hole in it. In other words, a beauty trim ring or bezel. But I'm having a freakin' hard time finding any that quite meet the specs:

ID 1"
OD 1.5"

I've tried Mcmaster-Carr and other sources, and I don't mind cutting hole in the middle of one if I need to, but I can't find what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions? Some sort of pushbutton bezel or something?

*Eventually* I'll deal with the bits of damage to the fiberglass, and have it repainted, but I just don't want to deal with that right now.

Appreciate any suggestions!

I have a bunch of those, from Lowe's and HD etc., but the OD needs to be considerably larger.

Hole size 1"
OD of plug 1.5"

None of the ones I've seen at the big box stores meet that spec...

Sounds like what you need is a thin washer-like "thing" with a hole diameter of 1" and an OD of 1.5".....you could make one out of thin aluminum....pop it on the plugs you have, and voila!

How about a rubber grommet that is sized to fit the hole in the wheel pant? McMaster has quite a selection of sizes.

Doesn't anyone else have the same problem with wheel pant damage as the OP? My hanger neighbors are seeing it, even being careful towing themselves. I am considering installing a stainless steel plate around the towbar hole in the nose wheel pant for my 14A. This can't be a new problem/idea. :confused:

I replaced the socket head bolt with a hex head AN bolt, which allowed me to increase the washers stacked under the head of the bolt. That increases the length that the tow bar can grip onto without having the bolt protrude past the edge of the nose wheel fairing. I haven't had any issues with my Bogart tow bar slipping off of the stud and eating away at the wheel fairing hole.

I have found that almost all FBOs do not have tow bar fittings that fit the wheel fairing holes. So I just ask them when I arrive where they want me to park the plane because they won't be able tow it. Net result: no damage on my -7A.

Mike

Last edited:
I replaced the socket head bolt with a hex head AN bolt, which allowed me to increase the washers stacked under the head of the bolt. That increases the length that the tow bar can grip onto without having the bolt protrude past the edge of the nose wheel fairing. I haven't had any issues with my Bogart tow bar slipping off of the stud and eating away at the wheel fairing hole.

I have found that almost all FBOs do not have tow bar fittings that fit the wheel fairing holes. So I just ask them when I arrive where they want me to park the plane because they won't be able tow it. Net result: no damage on my -7A.

Mike

Yeah, I have the longer socket head bolts that I got from somewhere (Bogert?) and the Bogert towbar, and *I* never have any problem with it, but it seems some FBOs do. I can't always be towing the plane across the ramp and into their hangar, so sometimes I have to rely on them to do it. Just the way it goes.

Wheel pants can take a real beating...I don't mind doing some repair work at some point, but I'm looking for a way to both mask some current minor damage and prevent any more, if possible.

Back