What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1 - A Blank Slate - A Clean Canvas - and A Great Recipe

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
A Blank Slate – A Clean Canvas – and A Great Recipe

It occurred to me this morning that we have a great recipe and quality ingredients to make a full color event poster that honors Van, the history of RV-1, highlights the RV-1 Summer Tour, the arrival of the RV-1 into AirVenture-2012 and its entry into the EAA Museum, and provides an opportunity recognize supporting vendors and a glimpse into the future works of Friends of the RV-1. Problem is- I’m not a chef. If it’s going to be, we’ll need professional assistance.

Before taking this idea to a ‘non-RV’ graphic artist, I thought it best to begin here and receive your thoughts and direction. If you like the idea, we’ll begin a search for someone to organize the project. Also, Friends of the RV-1 will pay all expenses for production and will make the posters available either free or at near cost. This could be a real “community” project with published proofs and selection by individual poll. All or part of the event poster design may also be suited for T-shirts and related items.

What say you?

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea, Ernie. I'm not a graphic designer, or I would volunteer for this. You need someone who does this sort of thing all the time.

As a suggestion, though, maybe you could highlight some of the restoration work and the volunteers too.

Best,

Just checking in... 171 views today and only one reply!

I believe an event poster honoring Van and the RV-1 will become a collector's item before it's published, but it will require a significant amount of time and energy to complete -- time and energy that could be spent elsewhere if there's little or no community interest. If you believe an event poster honoring Van and the RV-1 is a good idea and something you would like to have, your voice and suggestions need to be heard.

Have a great day!

That's a great idea! I have a few ideas for design elements:

A subtle Sunburst in the background that mimics the white and yellow Sunburst on the RV1; reminiscent of the better Sun 'n Fun posters

A portrait of Van, either photographic or a very well-done illustration

A formation of multi-colored RVs: formation to symbolize prescision, aerobatics and unity in design, but multicolored to symbolize their uniquely personal nature.

The RV1.

Van can sign a limited edition and the Friends can sell them. I'd buy one!

Non-RV artists

In my day job, I work with several talented graphic artists here in Portland that might be interested in bidding on such a project if there isn't someone in the RV community that steps up. Being local to Van's could help ensure a strong connection to the man and the brand.

Jason Rovey(RV-8) did a nice job with this Trophy plague for the Thunderbird SARL race...or he knows someone who might be up to the task.

Trophy.jpg

Back