What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual G3XT in an RV-8

jonweisw

Well Known Member
It CAN be done!

Many thanks to David Buchwalter of Avionics Systems in Leesburg, VA. David did my original panel in 2003 and let me do the installation. This time, I let him do the honors. The retrofit took two weeks (exactly as promised) and is FLAWLESS. The workmanship and the attention to detail are impeccable. I simply can't say enough positive things about David's work.

The new panel includes two G3X Touch displays keyed off the GTN650 with the G5 backup and the Garmin autopilot (no YD). David was able to angle the displays upwards some (thank you Craig Moen for the idea!) which makes a significant difference given their location relative to a natural sightline.

New%20Panel_zpslgqep4jp.jpg

Here's the old one

Old%20panel_zpsoldhsqdn.jpg

Jon Weiswasser
N898JW

Last edited:
Now start playing with the split screen feature on each display and you'll really be cooking! And since you're single pilot, you can put lots of stuff on the parameter bars on each side and have lots of cool information always displayed. Don't think that you need to have the VHF nav frequencies displayed, tho -- I almost never use 'em except for ILS approaches.

Many happy and productive hour of tweaking ahead to get just what you want displayed.

Ed

Last edited:
Nice Jon. Do you find yourself looking at your G5 EFIS more than the G3 because it is in your line of sight?

Not really oddly enough. I know what you're saying about the G5 being in the natural sightline but the G3XT is really stunning enough that I cant keep my eyes off it!

Back