What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3B W&B

BruceT

I'm New Here
I am looking to buy a finished, flying RV3B, and want to perform simple aero's
I read the Max aerobatic weight without fuel is 1050 lbs, I weigh 209 lbs
consequently any 3 that I buy must have an empty weight of 840 lbs.
Is there such an animal out there, as most I have seen are in the vicinity of 890 lbs. Or am I just too heavy to consider a RV3B an should look else where
Regards Bruce

They're out there. My 3B weights 845lbs - IO-320, CATTO Prop, Inverted Oil, etc. I'm not quite ready to sell yet but at some point I'd like to sell it for a 6 or 7. I could lighten it up by about 15lbs with a lipo battery and lighter roll bar.

As Rob says, a light RV-3B is possible - Randy's collated table shows some.

Our RV-3B is being built with IO-320, CS Prop and full inverted systems. The target was a max 800lb Basic Weight, and I was told that was "unlikely".

Very recent progress gives me good reason to believe 750lb is achievable, but needs to be confirmed. Hopefully more info in a few months ;)

RV3 gross weight acro

RV3 gross weight limit for acro is 1050lb minus weight of fuel in wings - check with Van's on this.

Keep paint to an absolute minimum (interior, exterior), go after every spare ounce, put on a Catto and don't load it up with a lot of other stuff ... and you'll come in under 800lbs empty easy. CS on a -3? Plus all the other junk everyone loads up with (autopilot, avionics, blah)? If you bring it in under 850lbs with all that, I'll want to know how you did it!

Lyc 0320-E2D + Catto is the lightest engine/prop combination. Do everything else to reduce weight, and you'll have 750lb empty. Read up on everything smokeyray says on here about light-weight RV's. For the -4 and -3, lightweight is superior to extra horsepower and CS.

- Steven
(900 RV3 hours - another one today!)

Lyc 0320-E2D + Catto is the lightest engine/prop combination. Do everything else to reduce weight, and you'll have 750lb empty. Read up on everything smokeyray says on here about light-weight RV's. For the -4 and -3, lightweight is superior to extra horsepower and CS.

Though I'm flying a Pitts at the moment, I still think about how neat it would be to have a very light RV-3 again. Mine was about 700 lbs - Type I wing, O-290, wood prop, no electrical, J-3 simple panel, no interior. It seems sub 750 lbs. would be possible with the B wing, O-320, 2-blade Catto, and no elec. Would be one fine flying airplane, just like my old one. It's amazing how much small weight differences affect the feel of airplanes this size.

I flew mine from coast to coast with 35 pounds of gear in the back. I was amazed at how different it felt. A 750 pound plane with minumum fuel would be a blast.

RV-3A W&B

Hey guys, My 3A was built with an IO-360 and a CS prop. It is do-able...and she was very fast back then.

I just did W&B a few months ago after replacing the engine mount and gear legs, I am at 848 lbs with an IO-320 and the Vans 70CMx79 aluminum prop.

I do not have inverted fuel/oil, and my cockpit is fairly spartan...all steam gauges and a King KT76a. The places I have ID'd where I can save weight are the battery, I have a Concorde which weighs like #34 lbs, I cound get a much lighter battery. I have electric elevator trim which is really nice, but I could shed a couple lbs there. And also the prop. I am saving up my pennies for a Catto at the moment.

My buddy who has hundreds of hours in all sorts of RV's told me "get a light one....they fly much better" and this is true. And with an RV-3...who needs all that auto pilot and stuff. Keep it simple...and light!
Happy flying!
Dave

Empty weight in rv 3

Hi All!

My 3B is kept very light, on weightscale it was 750 lbs! 340 Kg!
I have a O-320 C3B with a Born Prop on it,Minimum Instruments, and polished frame. I whant to keep it light and simple, worked quite well.:D

I don't know to get pics in here so : http://fly-vansrv.eu/rv-3b.html

Tailwinds
Math

Well One Seat is Great but i Need two, as my son is growing and he wants to come with me, so i will let her go.

Back