What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom Seat Question

dlomheim

Well Known Member
The seat in a "3" is so dished out, what are you all doing about that? My neighbor has "3" and his came with a fiberglass half moon insert that makes a flat seat bottom to place a cushion on, but not sure if that is the way I want to go or not. Does anyone know if that is what is recommended if I go with Oregon Aero seats?

Thanks for any ideas.

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A

Hi Doug,

Oregon Aero does have a pattern for the RV-3 seat cushion, but I'll tell you - it's a LOT of foam, and not particularly light. Not cheap either. Awfull dang comfortable though. If you go that way, they want a compressed foam height to custom fit it to you - you get that by sitting on phone books and then giving them the thickness of the books.

I have never seen anything used but foam, but you might could make a lightweight glass "plug" that fills some of the space, then put flat cushions on top of that.

Paul

Seat bottom

Hi Doug,
I have an Rv1 with a fiberglass seat that is "dished". so the previous owner used a soft pillow (for added height and contour) under the foam seat cushion. I'm 5ft 6in and have good visibility and comfort with this arrangement. The canopy is an RV3 slider fitted to a Stits Playboy fuselage. A picture is enclosed.

svjrt3.jpg

Foam is heavy

Doug,
You may not want to go to this much trouble, but, I built custom seats for my Luscombe and will do so for my 3B using rigid sheet foam (ACS) and fiberglass to form ribs and a seat pan that can give you any lift and conforming shape your body appreciates.

This allows you to use one sheet of firm Temper foam and one sheet of medium temper foam for exceptional comfort and minimum weight.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to mold your butt and back to get a PERFECT seat pan shape to reinforce and pad ?? I am thinking of BEAN BAG styrofoam pellets wetted with WEST fast epoxy in a trash bag, but have not proven it !..Larry

Last edited:
Replies

Thanks for the replies...will ponder it further and sit in it a bit and come up with a strategy. I'm slooooowly finishing up the FAB air box installation to bring carb heat and filtered carb air to the carb where there wasn't either before...

Doug

Seat

Doug,
You may not want to go to this much trouble, but, I built custom seats for my Luscombe and will do so for my 3B using rigid sheet foam (ACS) and fiberglass to form ribs and a seat pan that can give you any lift and conforming shape your body appreciates.

This allows you to use one sheet of firm Temper foam and one sheet of medium temper foam for exceptional comfort and minimum weight.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to mold your butt and back to get a PERFECT seat pan shape to reinforce and pad ?? I am thinking of BEAN BAG styrofoam pellets wetted with WEST fast epoxy in a trash bag, but have not proven it !..Larry

I think a saw a trash bag with foam , forming a seat in a F1 race car.
I built a carbon seat for by Skybolt, used a Oregon Aero portable seat cushion as the base , $200 for the cushion with the good memory type foam.
May do the same for my 8.
Tom

cheap seat

stack up some foam into the seat pan, then get a seat cover from an auto-parts store to cover. Support under the thighs is important - takes weight off the tail bone. Cost about $50.

dnommf.jpg

- Steven
800+ RV3 hours
(another one last weekend!)

Back