What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom view - plans DWG 23 Fuse Skin Rivets

flyingj

On the "Bottom View" drawing, the plan shows two rows of rivets on the left side of F-321 forward bottom skin. I have not been able to figure out what the second (inner) row of rivets are for, anyone know?
Thanks
Jim Frisby
Palmer, AK
I have added an image of the section of the plans I am referring to
BottomView.png

Last edited:
bottom fwd fuselage rivets ...

With current RV3 plans, those rows of rivets are meant to attach the triangular webs to the cockpit floor that brace the two inner engine-mount points to the firewall. In earlier RV3 plans, they were simply the rail on which the rudder pedals were mounted.

- Steven
700+ RV3 hours

Steven, I think the middle two rows are for those braces from the engine mount.

The rudder pedal attach angle isn't long enough to pick up the whole length of that line of rivets, second row from the top as shown.

This is a mystery to me so far, too.

Dave

fwd fuselage

ok, here's the best pic I've got of my interior fwd fuselage.

From left to right: first is the angle bar that attaches the side skin to the floorboard. Then comes a short rail for the left side of the left rudder pedal weldment. Then comes a full length rail for the right side of the left rudder pedal weldment (I put this in because the center engine mount points did not exist when I started on my build ... keep reading). Then comes the left side web (dark green) that provides the bracing structure for the left-center engine mount point. Then, in the center, is another rail. Then same thing in reverse on the right side of the floorboard. I cleared all this with Van a long time ago, because it was much more than the original plans show. Worked pretty good for 750 hours!

fnbero.jpg

- Steven
700+ RV3 hours

Back