Outstanding.....well done !
empennage done
Wings done
Fuselage kit 90% done...
Old 04-13-2011, 09:04 AM

Default Gear leg shimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaikarl View Post
I find that high tire pressure will increase shimmy.......what pressure are your main tires?
If my tire pressure is above 18 psi in my 3 , the gear legs will shimmy on high speed taxi or on landing as I am slowing down...but about the same speed either way. I've got wood on the gear legs too. Now I check the tire pressure before every flight and keep it at 18 and the result is no shimmy. Try it, you'll like it!
I originally used 18 to 22 psi tire pressure to control the gear leg shimmy which occurred around walking speed.

I balanced the wheel pants and could then use 30 psi without any gear leg shimmy. It took about 1/4 lb. (120 grams?) of lead shot in epoxy as a slurry which was poured into the nose of each wheel pant. This balanced the wheel pant forward of the wheel axle.

We are in the process of assembling RV-3 N51RV after 18 years of storage. I had to add at least 1/2 lb. of lead shot in the nose of each wheel pant because of the weight of a fiberglass wall that had been added in the back of the wheel pant.

It helps to balance the wheel and tire assembly, also.

Just as a point of trivia, my RV-3 N47RV certification was used to certify the first RV in Holland. As I remember, the first RV certified there was a RV-4. Around 1988 or 1989.

Regards,
Jim Ayers
RV-3A N47RV serial number 50 - LOM M332A engine MT CS propeller
Old 04-17-2011, 02:39 AM

Default Wheel Balance

sorry i was not able to look into the posts,
i tryed to manage the tire pressure from 16 to 38 psi no change!
the i started to detach all the stuff from the gear and found the stiffners around the gear loose, so i have fixed that, but i donŽt have the time to make a test roll right now, iŽll ceep updated my progress!

David i would be happy to see you over here, ceep in touch about a visit!
what is your six doing?

tailwinds
Math
Old 04-17-2011, 04:01 AM

Default sent you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
First of all congratulations and well done Mathias. My wish is to build an RV-3B and I even have an empenage kit. However as there has not been an RV-3 built and flown in Switzerland, if I choose to continue building in Switzerland I will be waiting for an extra year on getting Swiss approvals. So, therefore a few questions to both Math and Heinz:
  1. Did you both complete your respective RV kits outside of The Netherlands?
  2. How easy is it to build an aircraft that is registered in The Netherlands in another country such as Switzerland?
  3. Can you supply me with contact details about registering an experimental aircraft project in The Netherlands?

Thanks in advance guys.
I have sent you a PM with my phone number so just give me a ring - I away until 26. April though.

Heinz
c.) bought flying at 51 TT: Vans RV-3A, PH-URZ .... getting used to it (and having fun )