What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AirVenture 2009 photos

Nice photos, Radomir. Thanks for sharing them with us. I sure am glad Mayor Daly didn't send up his storm trooper thugs to take you out of the sky!

Great article

Hi Jim,

Great article on your trip to and from Oshkosh. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. I was wondering how things went for you and know we know. It was great camping and seeing you again. Can't wait until next year.

I departed OSH and flew over Lake Michigan at 11,500' in clear skies all the way to Pontiac. What a great flight, 1 hour and 29min. Sorry you live so far from Oshkosh, but it sounds like you had more fun in your RV. We are just both glad to have good friends and great planes.

Ted Gauthier
RV-6

Another good year Ted. It's a long way over there, but the scenery along the way is pretty impressive so it's a very enjoyable trip. Although I usually hand fly in the bug bumps, auto-pilot seems to be a must for those long cross countries.

Wow.

Wow...amazing photos. I watched the entire slideshow. You definitely have a gift with the camera.

Thanks for sharing.

WOW!!!!

I really enjoyed those photos. You are incredibly gifted with that camera.... I am very impressed!!!
Best
Brian Wallis

EXCELLENT

Jay,

Thanks so much for posting your work. You're a talented photographer, and definitely have an eye for aviation.

I see you're offering prints too! Great!

Bill

Last edited:
Wow...amazing photos. I watched the entire slideshow. You definitely have a gift with the camera.

Thanks for sharing.

As much as I'd LOVE to take credit for the photos, they were taken by Jay Beckman. Jay flew with two of us to/from the left coast to OSH. He shipped clothes ahead so he could pack 25 lb of camera gear in the back of a Piper Arrow. Three of us enjoyed a week of N40 camping luxury.

It is impressive what professional grade equipment can do in the hands of a pro. BTW, this was Jay's first time at OSH.

Me.....I just have a few snaps of RV cowl mounting details.......guess you can tell where I am in the project! :)

Nice photos, but not a single pic of a garagebuilt. Whats up with that??

I know Jay had about 1600 photos at one point late in the week. The photo gallery has about 100 as of now. I'm sure there are some homebuilts somewhere in 1600+ photos he took. He is still adding to the gallery, so check back in once in a while.

I'm afraid all I can share is close up details of stuff mounted to my firewall. :)

Wonderful Pictures

Those pictures are wonderful. I speak from experience. I'm the photographer for our local storytelling festival, so I have an idea how hard it is to get such great pictures.

--Tom Thurston

I make my living with a camera. The slide show is wonderful. Excellent photography!

re: great

Jim:
Super good write-up. I don't ususally spend too much time reading trip reports, but yours was really good. Thanks for sharing.
BTW, I live in OKC, it's 4.5 hrs to OSH from here in my brother's -9A.:) I'll be glad to get my -10 finished so I can fly it up.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM

Here are mine :

http://www.llavalle.ca/gallery/v/Oshkosh2009/

I drove down to a fellow builder's house in Ottawa (2h drive) and we drove all the way there (15-16h drive). The first picture is my dashboard, I was averaging 6.0L/100km. That around 39mpg going 105km/h (65mph). 39mpg on the highway and more than 200hp at the wheels! (4cyl 2.0L supercharged, it's a Cobalt SS). Gotta love small force induction engines.

I hope you don't mind the car pictures, I love cars :)

Back