What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Mount to Firewall Fit

Rolly9

My engine mount (9 QB) does not match the holes in the Firewall. It is out about a 3/32! Has anyone building a 9 or a 7 had this problem?
Thx. Rolly

The Undersized holes in the firewall in my QB kit were slightly off (don't remember how far), and I just took up the offsed when drilling to final size.

If that is the amount it is off at the final size hole, have you tried to pull the engine mount a little to get the bolt in?

Ron
RV-9A - Final Assy

Engine Mount To Firewall

I'm Building A 7 And My Engine Mount Was Off About 1/16 At The Upper Right, As You Look From The Front, So I Matched Up The Other Holes And Drilled To Size. Then I Drilled That Last Hole. I Did Pull The Mount Just A Little And Clamped It In Place And Drilled The Hole. Everything Came Out Just Fine. Most Likely It Is Your Mount That Is Off And Not The Alignment Holes In The Firewall.

Fwiw: Mine Is A Slider. I Replaced The Canopy Skits From Van's With A 025 And They Were Much Easier To Fit. I Kept The Locking Blocks Up About 1/8 WHILE FITING AND THEN REMOVE THE SPACER And The Fit Came Out Very Well.

My Rv4 Is Now For Sale.

Good Luck

The holes in my -6A were off about this much. In the plans, they actually had TWO different dimensions for the hole spacing on two different drawings. I guess Van's made the mount to one dimension and drilled the firewall to the other! Had to stretch the mount a bit and final drill the upper holes slightly off center with the pilot hole. It worked out but was a 3 hour job instead of a 10 minute job. 2 hours spent trying to figure out what was not right.

Back