What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS vs. ADS-B

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm a ham so I installed an APRS transmitter in my -8. Somewhere along the line, I screwed it up and it doesn't work...but I see that even if I don't file a flight plan or even contact ATC, my flights are tracked in the same way on FlightAware through all of the ADS-B tracking receivers that are out there (pi-aware, etc). My thinking now is that I'll remove the APRS antenna (reduce some drag), get rid of the in-op transmitter and still have the advantage (if you call it that) of flight tracking whether in the system or not. There are so many pi-aware receivers (and other variants) now, even my "in the pattern" landing practices are logged. The only way to avoid tracking now is to turn your transponder off! Any thoughts on this?

Flightaware only shows my IFR flights even though I have compliant ADS-B out. Not sure why it would be different for me, but it appears my ADS-B doesn't trigger, or isn't followed by, Flightaware.

Of course flightradar24.com has every one of my flights...

Flightaware only shows my IFR flights even though I have compliant ADS-B out. Not sure why it would be different for me, but it appears my ADS-B doesn't trigger, or isn't followed by, Flightaware.

I have to be logged in to see the "non-system" flights, but since I am hosting a pi-aware receiver, it may give me access others don't have.

Here's the track for one of my VFR "no contact with ATC" flights on Saturday from Savannah TN back to my home base:

FATrack.jpg

You need to change the FlightAware setup on your computer (under ACCOUNT > MY ACCOUNT) to "Show position-only flights". Then your flights with ADS-B out will show up. The default setting is "Do not show position-only flights".

:cool:

Last edited:
You need to change the FlightAware setup on your computer (under ACCOUNT > MY ACCOUNT) to "Show position-only flights". Then your flights with ADS-B out will show up. The default setting is "Do not show position-only flights".

:cool:

Cool, Galin, thank you! I'll change this setting and see what happens. I never knew I could get my flights this way. THANKS!

Back