What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back To dimples again!!!

Yes looks nice!
if you can snap high resolution one from dimple both sides of skin

Vluvelin,

Not the best, but about as close up as I can get. The first shot shows the factory head - this pic shows the witness marks you will get around the hole when the dimple has been fully set. The pic is a little deceiving as it looks like the rivet sits down in the dimple - it is flush with the skin.
92B2423F-851A-4265-BA14-18639AB1226E.jpg

This pic shows the shop head side. I did debur, but you can see a slight bur that remains. This isn't visible to the naked eye
63AB08BE-9556-491E-8DA0-3D0FA8799042.jpg

Another poster mentioned a straight edge across the rivet/sheet, which is a good test, so the last pic is a razor blade, back lit with a flashlight, over a couple factory heads. This shows the relative flatness of the finished product

9BAA0A70-0872-440C-B173-05B110E708E8.jpg

Jon, what I was referring to was the idea of using different dies for different thicknesses and for every underlying stack, as described in flion's post above. And to quote flion's summary statement, "...But be sure to consider the costs, both in time and money, and don't let it prevent you from finishing your aircraft."

Gotcha. I can definitely miss the forest for the trees at times during my build:D , but it will get done eventually!

To 60av8tor

Yes they Really look nice I almost cant believe you got this dimples with Cleveland dies
NOw when i look at it you dimpled with primer and. It actually makes skin thicker

I actually reduced depth to get my modified dimples look like this

Last edited:
Back