What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B TRIG TT22 & TN70

David Bell

Well Known Member
I'm trying to learn compatibility of avionics... like most of us, were attempting to comply by 2020 (minimizing cost). I have learned that MicroAir will not support ADS-B, meaning my T2000SFL (transponder) will have to be replaced. Trig has the TT22 (transponder), the TN70 (WAAS receiver) which appears to be an option for me considering size (2 1/4"). I also have a panel mounted Garmin 696. My question... am I headed in the right direction? Is there something else I should consider? VFR only, based in class C, fly in other controlled airspace. Thanks for tuning in.

GPS 20A

I have the Trig TT-31 and a garmin GPS-20A for position source and a garmin 696 for traffic display. The GPS-20A is a bit less expensive than the Trig TN-70 and should work with the TT-22.

Give consideration to GRT's position sensor... It has been developed in conjunction with the TT22 as part of the GRT ADSB solution. At $500 it's pretty economical.

Also, if you don't have an EFIS to control the remote-mount TT22 transponder, you'll need to install the TC20 control head. The really cool thing about this control head is that it is also the altitude encoder. TRIG has packed a lot of functionality into a small package. So much so that I feared it would be difficult to read the display of the TC20. In hindsight, I need not have feared.

Assuming your current transponder is mode C, you don't have to replace it. You can install a UAT. GRT is selling the Echo coupled to their GPS for $1500.

The Trig is about he same price as the Stratus ESG, and the Stratus comes with a certified position source. Plus, it qualifies for the rebate.

I have installed and am installing a lot of Stratus units. I have the Trig TT22 in my Cessna, but I also have a GTN-650 for the position source.

Back