Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 03:34 PM

Looks great! I am curious to know where you plan to put the fire extinguisher and which one you are going to use?

Thanks
Bird
http://www.mykitlog.com/tcb328/
Old 08-09-2014, 07:08 PM

Default Fire ext.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird View Post
Looks great! I am curious to know where you plan to put the fire extinguisher and which one you are going to use?

Thanks
Bird
I plan on using an RT A400 mounted horizontally on the left side between pilot and passenger. I always brief my passengers that in the unlikely case we end up on the ground inverted, the fire extinguisher doubles as an emergency canopy breaker if required.
RV9A N249ST sold
Old 08-09-2014, 07:21 PM

Interesting. What's the thinking behind using a T-handle throttle quadrant, but a vernier mixture control?

Ours is all on the throttle quadrant.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhoneck View Post
Interesting. What's the thinking behind using a T-handle throttle quadrant, but a vernier mixture control?

Ours is all on the throttle quadrant.
Simply personal preference. I like the precision of the vernier for mixture.
RV9A N249ST sold
Old 08-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erDriver View Post
Simply personal preference. I like the precision of the vernier for mixture.
Steve,

I think your bracket and vernier mixture control is smart. I'm very unhappy with my "deluxe" throttle quadrant with one friction control for three levers.

Could you tell me the source and part number of your vernier cable so I could modify my RV-8A too, please? (I assume your engine is fuel injected.)

I don't see your heater control and alternate air pull cables. You might also want to consider one for an oil cooler door -- I'm finding that to be very necessary.

--
Joe

Joe Dubner
RV-8A
APRS Position
Old 08-10-2014, 07:43 AM

Default Friction

Joe, I was not happy with the friction either on my quadrant. After a little investigation it turns out the designed friction is not the best. It pushes on the side of the quadrant. I oversized the hole in side of quadrant and added a shim"al. Tubing" so the friction knob pushes on the plates only and not the side of quad. Works perfect now, also made a new friction lever. Pics on KITLOG, link below

Bird
http://www.mykitlog.com/tcb328/
Old 08-10-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Steve,

I think your bracket and vernier mixture control is smart. I'm very unhappy with my "deluxe" throttle quadrant with one friction control for three levers.

Could you tell me the source and part number of your vernier cable so I could modify my RV-8A too, please? (I assume your engine is fuel injected.)

I don't see your heater control and alternate air pull cables. You might also want to consider one for an oil cooler door -- I'm finding that to be very necessary.

--
Joe
Joe- my engine is carbureted. I did send back the 55" mixture cable that came with the FF kit and replaced it with the 51.5 inch length.

Re cabin heat and carb heat, the photo doesn't show it well but those controls are on he right console below the cb's and in front of the cup holder. Obviously the shiny piece of alclad there is not yet painted.
RV9A N249ST sold
Old 08-10-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Joe- my engine is carbureted. replaced it with the 51.5 inch length.
Since mine is F.I., I'll most likely need a different length. Guess I need to measure.

Quote:
Re cabin heat and carb heat, the photo doesn't show it well but those controls are on he right console below the cb's and in front of the cup holder.
That should be good (although my preference is to have the engine controls grouped together). I mounted mine too far forward on the left side (ahead of the quadrant) and need to slip out of one of my shoulder straps to reach it :-( Cupholder will be nice; I need to add one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird View Post
After a little investigation it turns out the designed friction is not the best.
Agreed, but I can't use your solution. I need zero additional friction for the throttle and differing amounts for each of the mixture and prop controls. After flying this way for a year, I want to try a vernier, at least for the mixture.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe Dubner
RV-8A
APRS Position
Old 08-16-2014, 09:40 PM

Default Inspiration

Completing some tasks are just a relief. Paint buffed and canopy mounted is inspiring.

N82 Sierra Tango
Avatar courtesy of AircraftStickers.com!
Dues gladly paid thru Nov. 2018(my reminder)
Old 08-17-2014, 12:06 PM

Default Status

Looks good. Mines red with some grey ,white and silver. After a few designs I painted the "hoop" around the canopy black instead of the red body color . I think it makes the canopy look like one piece and longer .

Can email you a pic if you like .
Tom
2017 donation paid