What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Motor Failure

Len

Well Known Member
Flap motor quit right after conditional ... found thread in archives about cleaning motor of excess grease. Did this and it ran on bench again. Put in plane to test and it only runs one way using flap switch ??? Reverse wires and like on bench and it will go the other way. Thoughts?

Also I read where people have bought just the flap motor from the manufacturer? Mine was manufactured in 1999 according to data on motor.

Flap motor quit right after conditional ... found thread in archives about cleaning motor of excess grease. Did this and it ran on bench again. Put in plane to test and it only runs one way using flap switch ??? Reverse wires and like on bench and it will go the other way. Thoughts?

Also I read where people have bought just the flap motor from the manufacturer? Mine was manufactured in 1999 according to data on motor.

You've proven that the motor will run in either direction - so you most likely have a wiring issue. Check for a loose connection in the part of the circuit that drives the motor in the direction that isn't working.

What Paul says....

Or, the switch may have gone south on you.

If the flaps are all the way up or down, and the switch (or control box etc) fails in the other direction, it would appear that the motor has failed.

Last edited:
What the others have said plus check relays.

Also could be a failed relay if your flap switch is on the stick and uses relays to feed the heavy current.

Back