What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starting my RV10

BrianDC

Well Known Member
Just wanted to introduce myself to the group as I expect I'll be posting dumb questions and looking for advice as I being my own project.

Been lurking for a bit and spent the last year cleaning up my garage and purchasing the needed tools. I'm headed to Sun N' Fun for the first time on Wed and hoping to run into a number of you.

Delivery of my Empennage kit is scheduled for the Monday after Sun N Fun, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I can just right in!

Welcome

Brian,

Welcome I too am trying to start my RV10 - I can't get the darn motor to start - yet!!!

Welcome to the group, it is a fun project.

Drippy

Welcome. I'm 8 months in and love every minute of it. Just placed my SB fuse and QB wings order today!

Brian,

Welcome I too am trying to start my RV10 - I can't get the darn motor to start - yet!!!

Welcome to the group, it is a fun project.

Drippy

Ha. I guess I should have thought my title out a bit more. I have a long way to go before I even have a motor to start.

Welcome to VAF.

I'm working in the fuse kit. In the next month or two, I will be changing over from aluminum to fiberglass -- the dreaded canopy top.

The guys and gals on VAF are great. They know so much and can provide all kinds of good advice especially hints or tricks discovered by the members here. If you get to OSH try to attend the RV builders dinner or the social. It's really great to be able to put a face with a login name.

It's a great project. Just be sure to make a bit, even if it's small, progress every day.

Brian,
Congrats!! There's a lot of RV experience in general and RV-10 experience specifically in NOVA, and lot of it resides in EAA Chapter 186 at Manassas (KHEF). There's three RV-10s based there to include my own, one at Leesburg that I know of, and soon to be one at Warrenton. Please don't hesitate to reach out for support. I have a wing and fuse cradle that you can use when the time comes and the Chapter has a trailer for moving projects from the house to the airport for final assembly, if applicable.

Brian,
Congrats!! There's a lot of RV experience in general and RV-10 experience specifically in NOVA, and lot of it resides in EAA Chapter 186 at Manassas (KHEF). There's three RV-10s based there to include my own, one at Leesburg that I know of, and soon to be one at Warrenton. Please don't hesitate to reach out for support. I have a wing and fuse cradle that you can use when the time comes and the Chapter has a trailer for moving projects from the house to the airport for final assembly, if applicable.

Absolutely. Was at the last chapter meeting and after talking to everyone decided that I really needed to just order the kit and start building. I fully expect to tap into a lot of the local experience. Hopefully I'll catch up with you at the next Chapter meeting.

Good to know

Brian,

I guess the mountain cousin is going to have to apply for his FAA freedom-of-movement papers - so I can once again visit airports near DC. There's some expertise close by (in RV hours) I should probably avail myself of. Especially as I get closer to choosing interior appointments.

I guess the mountain cousin is going to have to apply for his FAA freedom-of-movement papers - so I can once again visit airports near DC. There's some expertise close by (in RV hours) I should probably avail myself of. Especially as I get closer to choosing interior appointments.

Absolutely -- come on up! Our Chapter meetings are on Saturday mornings (4th Sat of the month) 10:00-12:00 and we grill out afterwards (weather permitting). The Chapter house is located on the East ramp at the end of a hangar row, right next to the KHEF Control Tower so it's pretty easy to find. But I'm willing to head out to the airport to chew the fat almost anytime.

Man I spend at least a quarter of the year in NOVA. I should come to a chapter meeting. Been out to Leesburg a bit, my buddy has a hangar and an A36 out there.

Brian,

I'm looking forward to hearing about S&F; thought I might see you at VKX this weekend. Don't tell me you're already cloistered in your garage pounding rivets.

Robert

Robert, I'll be back to my IFR lessons this week, so hopefully I'll see you soon! Ran into a few locals at S&F which was pretty cool.

As my wife has informed me, I have spent the entire week "playing in the garage"!

Currently have the VS ready to rivet the skins on (just waiting on some clips for a conduit I'm putting in before I button it up), and the Rudder has been match drilled.

I have a bunch of time-lapse video that I have yet to edit / upload, and have been hit and miss with taking pictures. Guess I should share my build log for anyone that is interested.
http://rv10builder.com/

I'll be at the EAA 186 meeting this weekend trying to find a "mentor" to come take a look at my work so far. I may not be good at extending invites to people that want to check out my project, but I'm always willing to share / chat with anyone. (Trying to be more social than I usually am!)

Robert, I'll be back to my IFR lessons this week, so hopefully I'll see you soon! Ran into a few locals at S&F which was pretty cool.

As my wife has informed me, I have spent the entire week "playing in the garage"!

Currently have the VS ready to rivet the skins on (just waiting on some clips for a conduit I'm putting in before I button it up), and the Rudder has been match drilled.

I have a bunch of time-lapse video that I have yet to edit / upload, and have been hit and miss with taking pictures. Guess I should share my build log for anyone that is interested.
http://rv10builder.com/

I'll be at the EAA 186 meeting this weekend trying to find a "mentor" to come take a look at my work so far. I may not be good at extending invites to people that want to check out my project, but I'm always willing to share / chat with anyone. (Trying to be more social than I usually am!)

I'd be willing to take a look, but I'm by no means an authority or even a tech counselor. I'll be at the meeting if my plane isn't ready for pickup from the plant shoo which it most likely won't.

Back