What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best way to bleed air from new CS prop?

Just changed to a CS prop. Did a small run with no results from operating the prop. I suspect it is full of air. Anybody know a good way to purge it? Contact [email protected] Thanks

The air does not matter. Did you install the rear plug in the crankshaft? Sounds like it is missing. With the rear plug in the crankshaft, the oil would just compress the air and prop would still cycle.

Just changed to a CS prop. Did a small run with no results from operating the prop. I suspect it is full of air. Anybody know a good way to purge it? Contact [email protected] Thanks

What does a ?small run? mean. When first installing a c/s prop it will take some time to get oil into the hub, and it usually requires a pretty high rpm, depending upon the governor. If you are sure you removed the crank plug, then run it up to 1700-2000 rpm?s and pull the prop lever back all the way. You may even have to leave it there for a few seconds before there is any movement on the prop.

Vic

How long did u run it?? The first time takes additional revs to get the oil in the right place. Someone with more knowledge will chime in I’m sure.

PS - Yep - Vic has more than I ��

Last edited:
It works!

As some have suggested, I just didn't run it long or hard enough to get the air out of the system. Thanks for the help.

Back