What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with dumb question

NYTOM

Well Known Member
Hooking up Trio EZ pilot to Garmin AERA 660.
Does it require TX data in from GPS and RX data out back to GPS OR
TX data in from GPS and common ground from GPS ?
Little confused since it mentions ground from GPS some places and never mentions RX data back.
I know it has to be easy but leave it to me to screw up a stinking two wire hook up.
I have a huge bunch of hair in my fist I?m ready to pull out. :eek: The wiring is in a almost impossible spot to get too and I?m really impressing myself how I?ve been able to twist myself into a pretzel. Actually have short ropes tied so I can pull myself back out from under the instrument panel.
This sure is fun, right? :D

Hooking up Trio EZ pilot to Garmin AERA 660.
Does it require TX data in from GPS and RX data out back to GPS OR
TX data in from GPS and common ground from GPS ?
Little confused since it mentions ground from GPS some places and never mentions RX data back.
I know it has to be easy but leave it to me to screw up a stinking two wire hook up.
I have a huge bunch of hair in my fist I’m ready to pull out. :eek: The wiring is in a almost impossible spot to get too and I’m really impressing myself how I’ve been able to twist myself into a pretzel. Actually have short ropes tied so I can pull myself back out from under the instrument panel.
This sure is fun, right? :D

Hello Tom,

You only need to connect the TX and ground from the Aera 660 to the RX and ground on the autopilot.

The autopilot doesn't need to send anything back to the Aera 660.

You will need to set your Aera 660 RS-232 port format (#1 or #2 depending on which one you connected to the autopilot) to NMEA Out at either 4800 baud or 9600 baud depending on what your autopilot needs.

Thanks,
Steve

Actually that is exactly one of the connections I did.
I guess I have other issues.
I wish there was a way to assure I had a live signal out of the the AERA TX port.
This one?s a real stumper. :confused:
I?m going to try another GPS to make sure the Trios wired correctly.
Thanks for the reply Steve. At least now I can at least be sure I?m using the right wires.

Back