What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thanks Randy Lervold

Geico266

Well Known Member
Yesterday, I was in the shop wondering around looking for things to do when I noticed the Van's calender needed to be turned to April '09, but there was Randy's RV-3. He and his plane were featured as March this year in an amazingly beautiful shot. I got to thinking about all of the hard work and dedication Randy has done to preserve the history of the mighty RV-3, and document all of the growing pains Van's had on the first model. Take a look at the web site he has created to explain and document the spar mods, weight and balance, ect, ect, ect.

http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/

http://www.romeolima.com/RV3hq/index.htm

For those of you who don't know Randy is also a VAF moderator quietly working in the background here also.

Thanks Randy, for all you do. That is one beautiful RV-3.

March was a good calender month, I'm cutting that one out and putting it on the beer frig permanently!

Last edited:
I agree!

Randy was a huge help when I built my -8 (learned much from his web site), and I expect that his -3 site is goign to be equally useful as Louise and I build the -3. Great guy to ask questions of on the phone as well!

Paul

Links don?t work any more

Randy, both links listed are no longer working. I have picked up a kit that was last worked on in the late 1980’s. It was then crated and moved from Oregon to New Mexico, dry climate and stored in a dry hanger. But It looks like it was just stored 6months ago. My worries are;
1 I am a first time builder
2 the whole spar update, the wings are mostly assembled and skins are on.
3 1946 0-235 motor @100 HP, is it enough engine?
4 room to build in. I don’t have a lot of roon in my 10X8 shop.
5 of course, time to build, currently working and training for instrument-CFII.
6 no EAA chapter near for help. Weird as Roswell has a big airport.
7 back to the spar update,..do the wings have to come back apart?
8 I may be too new to home building an aircraft kit to start with this one.
9 after I bought the kit, my mentor ran into problems and (for now) backed out.

The Pluses;
1 my wife would like to build too and she has a good mind for engineering ( at least working on the house remodel) .
2 The aircraft seems well built so far and most of the assemblies are done/almost done.
3 The fuselage is in the canoe stage with motor mount on. It comes with a engine that turns with a helper bar. Not too loose not too tight
4 I could sit on it for a couple of years and hope my situation changes enough to get started on this.

For now I am also looking at selling the kit. Bummer.

Thank you

Garwin, you are responding to a thread that is nine years old. Even though Randy is still listed as a moderator I don't know if he actively monitors the forums since he has moved on from the RV community into other corners of the aviation universe.

I am moving your post to the general forum for greater exposure, maybe you can find an RV-3er that can assist you.
S. Buchanan

Last edited by a moderator:
Back