What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New -12 builder needs advice.

WayneJ

After many years of contemplation I finally called Van's last week and ordered the empennage and wing kits for my RV-12. I have my shop ready to go but still need to get the tools required for the build. Seems everyone is using a hand puller, pneumatic puller and hand squeezer. Even though the -12 has relatively few solid rivets compared to the other RV?s, many people are also using a pneumatic squeezer. In my research I ran across the Hydro-Pneumatic Riveting and Squeezing system offered at Cleveland Aircraft Tool. Has anyone used this? It looks like a great tool but it is a little pricey. But if this tool would eliminate all the other tools listed above the cost would be less of an issue.
I?m also considering buying groups of tools individually as needed instead of in a kit. They cost a little more that way but you get to pick the type and brand of tool you want instead of settling for the choices in the kit which all seem to have compromises to keep the price low. (Yes I?m very picky about my tools)
Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

Pneumatic when possible...

I recommend pneumatic tools whenever possible. Then again, you don't have to spend a lot of money necessarily. I have a pneumatic pop rivet puller that I got from Harbor Freight for not much money at all, and it works great. The best thing is that I paid a couple more bucks to have a "no questions" replacement plan for it, so if it breaks, I can just get a brand new one for free! Happy shopping.

Welcome to the group, you have made a large step by joining this group, it has been my lifeblood for solving problems and getting opinions.
I too am a tool freak, and understand your choice. Although I am happy I used a pneumatic rivet squeezer, it is certainly not necessary, just nice is all. I found that TWO hand squeezers made building much more pleasant as well.

Hey welcome and congrats on getting started. My first comment would be that even though they say there aren't a lot of squeezed rivets, there aren't really compared to the 12,000 or so pulled rivets. There are still a few squeezed rivets. I have found that in the fuselage there are a few more than the wings or empennage. This is mainly due to the seemingly endless nut plates you install in the fuselage. In this case I think the hand squeezer works just fine. I too thought about buying a pneumatic squeezer but didn't. The only place I would really like to use one is the larger/longer squeezed rivets -8, -9's. I agree that having two hand squeezers would be a good thing to have though. You will find out that you will need to dimple many of the holes you end up having to put the squeezed rivets into. It would be a lot easier to have the dimple dies in one squeezer and use the other for squeezing the rivets. I love my pneumatic pullers. I bought two as they are not expensive. Makes it a lot easier on the wings when the wife wants to help :) I use the manual puller a bit too however on places that are harder to get into.

I tell everyone this but some people disagree.. I really like the Homebuilt Help DVD series on the -12. I am a first time builder and it just helps me a lot to see someone else interpret the directions and do something before I start drilling or putting rivets in. If you are a first time builder the EAA weekend class on building is just a great start too. My wife and I took it together and both really enjoyed it.

Good luck on your build and you have already discovered the greatest tool here at VAF. People are great and questions are answered very quickly.

Carl

I have to say that the pneumatic puller is almost a must. We also have two, and sometimes have had both going at once. There are very few times I used my own personal pneumatic squeezer on the Eagle's Nest Project, and don't believe it is at all necessary. This was all done in a school setting, being used by students. I am recommending two hand squeezers now for future school projects, using a 3" and a 1 1/2" yoke. Like Carl, I can recommend the Homebuilt Help DVDs. I have just evaluated them for school use and think they will be very helpful for most any first-timer. Just don't ignore the instructions! I would say try the emp DVD and see if you like it. If you can't figure it out from the instructions or the DVD, you still have VAF!

Bob

Each person's needs and preferences will vary. In my case, I found that the close quarters pop riveter, the pneumatic puller, and a hand squeezer are all I need. My tools came from Isham as part of the standard tool kit (but with an upgraded pneumatic puller).

Even then, I tend to use the pneumatic puller mostly for the larger pieces like wing and fuselage panels, and usually just use the hand riveter for smaller sections that may only need a couple of dozen rivets.

The small solid rivets are easy to set by hand. The larger ones take a lot more effort, but are not too bad. However, anyone with arthritis for example, would be much better off using a pneumatic squeezer.

Pneumatic Squeezer

Whether you need a pneumatic squeezer or not depends a WHOLE lot on how much hand/arm strength you have. I was almost 70 when I started 120241 and had had a desk job (engineer) all my life. I found I could squeeze 3mm rivets OK but just didn't have the hand strength to do 4mm. I borrowed and pneumatic squeezer and found it did a beautiful job. Once you get it set (using scrap) you can make perfect rivets one after another.
I also used a Harbor Freight pneumatic puller-- it was still going strong after 15,000 rivets.

Wayne 120241/143WM

Welcome Wayne to the Forum and the RV-12 gang. Come on over to Thun and join our EAA chapter. We have four 12 builders in the chapter, with one flying 12 at Auburn, one flying at Thun (mine) and two under construction at private airstrips in the local area.

Pneumatic squeezed comes in handy in tight spots, as well as a bucking bar and gun. Congrats on your decision

Back