What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear battery access hatch

xblueh2o

Well Known Member
Was noodling over adding an access hatch in the aft baggage compartment to allow simpler access to the battery and flight controls.
Searched the old threads but so many of the posts are "here's a picture of how I did it" and the pictures are no longer available.
So, where is your hatch? On the vertical or horizontal part of the F-835.
How big is your hatch (with the associated question, what battery are you running)?
Now that you have lived with it, would you do anything differently?

I had no hatch. I had no battery problems between annual condition inspections, so it wasn't a problem.
Later I reconfigured the plane and put the battery on the firewall. I removed 3.2 pounds of no-longer needed battery cable...

Thanks Don,
That is pretty much the size and location I was envisioning.
I did see one person who put the hatch on the lower vertical part of that panel. That intrigued me at first but then it occurred to me that access to the flight controls and A/P servo would be much more difficult with the aft mounted battery in the way. Simple access to inspect those parts was half the reason to add the hatch in the first place.
Anything about it you would change if you were to do it over?

Back