- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 05:36 PM

Default Oil pressure transducer wiring

Quote:
Mich, could you use the red wire if you cut it behind the instrument panel and moved it over to Pin 6 after you remove the white wire that is there now?
Yes, you could do that. But RED is usually used for 12vdc positive. Using RED would be confusing to future troubleshooters. A White/Yellow wire is preferred because that is what Dynon uses in their harness. You might be able to get another wire through the firewall grommet by using a wirespoon.http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../wireSpoon.php

A better option is to remove the wht/yel oil pressure wire from the control-board-firewall-D-Sub pin 15 and connect it directly to the Dynon EMS pin 6, thus bypassing the resistor on the control board. So the circuit will be from the VDO V360-043 through the existing wht/yel wire to the Dynon EMS pin 6 (without being connected to the control board).
Joe
Old 11-16-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPILOT View Post
I like the idea. Makes lots of sense. Vibration would seem to be the bigger problem, but who knows. I think I will do that one also. Just a note, the restrictor may be the reason for more stable readings, but the other benefits are real.

John Bender
John, I think your on the money. Agreed vibration will kill most senders, but I think the biggest advantage is that we get rid of those "oil pump pulses" with the restrictor and the elasicity of the hose. Also gets the sender away from the heat. Only disadvantage I can see is we introduce a possible oil leakage (possible engine failure) area, but with careful maintenance periodic replacement this can be minimized. Great thread guys. This is what these forums are all about!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:11 PM

Thumbs up Works good so far!

Marcus, so far on my plane its working great. My oil pressure is rock solid. I think the restrictor will slow the rate of a possible oil leak to give you enough time for a landing when the Dynon alarm goes off signaling a loss of oil pressure as your oil leaks out. As you get some time on your plane and see what the normal oil pressure is then you could even bump up you red line alarm on the Dynon to increase time before total oil pressure/oil quantity lost. Theoretically of course.
1020 Hours as of 9/30/2017
Johnrv12@icloud.com
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014
Old 11-17-2010, 06:18 PM

Default Another minor problem solved - -

A few of us have had the RH side lower, longer, cowl hinge pin work itself up after a few hours. I took pictures, but was too close, and the pictures are not very good. I made a new pin with a LONGER offset, and another up-sweep at the end. After installed, I can swing it around and UNDER the edge of the oil tank bracket. You just have to bow it down a bit then swing it under the bracket. Will stay in place now.

John Bender
Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 PM

Default Hinge pin coming out

I had the same problem of the cowl lower right hinge pin coming out. I do not know how the pin can fall UP, but it did. I fixed it by drilling out a rivet and replacing it with a 6x32 screw that holds a piece of hinge that holds the pin.
I did the same thing on the left side of the cowl. There are two more screws to take out when removing the lower cowl, not a big deal.
Joe

Old 11-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Default Cowl closeout

Those little metal locking nuts are a pain to work with. I replaced it with a nutplate on the lower cowl closeout. Now I do not have to use a wrench in an awkward position.
Joe
Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Default inlayed carpet

Instead of paying $1200 for the interior kit, I purchased a 4x6 foot roll of carpet for $17 at Home Depot's aviation dept. I cut pieces to fit and fastened them in place with double sided tape.
Joe
Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 PM

Default sweepy wing root fairings, stab tips

Would these be worth doing looking for possibly less drag and to insure we can easily meet our 120kt allowable cruise Not trying to hijack this but thought this may interest the thread readers.
Working on a Mead Adventure
Old 11-27-2010, 09:52 PM

Default 120kt

It does easily meet the 120kt cruise limit. Increasing the empty weight with these add-ons does not change that. The beauty of this plane is not the speed anyway....its the view and the two-finger control system...don't believe there is a lighter set of controls out there.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:53 PM

Adding a soft start module tomorrow. Not really certain it's needed, but decided to go ahead with it after talking with Rotax to add life to the clutch/gearbox. If I see any obvious difference in the starts I will provide feedback.
Dick Seiders