- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2019, 11:35 PM

Should be an easy fit:

https://www.nationalbalsa.com/product_p/rv14.htm
Old 10-20-2019, 03:42 PM

I am building my RV-14A in my basement, which has a considerably smaller door than yours. It's about 58.5" wide when open, and I was able to fit a QB fuselage in. Albeit not with a lot of space on the side. Basement has a lot of advantages such as being climate controlled and much closer by than the hangar. I make a lot of aluminum dust but am careful to vacuum it up, and wear a mask as needed. The priming takes place in the garage out back (P60G2).

N144CJ reserved
Paid up for 2019
Old 10-30-2019, 11:45 AM

Building my -14A in an unfinished walkout. My plan is to remove sliding glass door and take out the fusalage sans gear and do the rest in the garage/hanger. My thought is I get a huge chuck of work done inside.
Dues paid December 2018
Old 11-05-2019, 08:52 PM

I am building an RV-14 (taildragger) in my unfinished basement with a walk-out French door. I delayed posting this because I didn't want to jinx myself. Tonight, we successfully removed the fuselage from the basement. The engine is mounted and the landing gear is on the plane. It would have been easier to do this before putting the landing gear on, but we succeeded.

We rolled the plane at a steep angle to the door to get one wheel out, then put both wheels on furniture dollies and slid it sideways. The idea was to be able to turn the fuselage so the second wheel rolled out and then the plane would roll straight forward. That would have worked if the landing gear axles didn't stick out to hold the wheel pants. With the protruding axles, we were basically 1" wider than the roll-slide-turn plan allowed. So we lifted the wheels off the ground with an engine crane and tipped it sideways just enough to allow that last inch of axle through the door.

Obviously, we removed the horizontal stabilizer to fit through the door, and that necessitated removing the elevators, rudder, and vertical stabilizer. I plan to leave those off of the plane until it makes the move to the airport. Narrower is better for going down the road, even on the short 2-mile jaunt I am facing.

I don't think this method would work with an RV-14A., although for all I know it would work better. I would recommend moving out of the basement after putting on the engine mount but before attaching the landing gear, as long as you have a good place to work on the other stuff like the cowling, firewall forward wiring/plumbing, and so on, and a good way to transport it between the two places without being on its own wheels.