What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Temp probe location

Djgeib

Expecting my wing kit soon and am planning what items need to be installed in the wings. Going with a heated / AOA pitot probe. Was wondering where people have been installing temperature probes for ADAHRS in -8

Mine is on the inboard access cover. In the shade and out of cooling air and exhaust gases. I thought there is one more advantage: Replace the cover and no extra holes in the plane in case it will be removed one day or relocated.

Under the left horizontal stab. also in the shade and out of sight. My AHARS is mounted mid fuse and the probe plugs directly into the AHARS unit, so nice short direct wire run. works great.

to be clear..Its mounted into the fuselage aft of the data plate under the horizontal stab.

Last edited:
Left wing.

We found that we had just the right amount of wire with the probe to place in the left wing lower skin just to the inside of the first inspection cover, then run the wire up to the panel with no splicing of the wire. By putting the probe there it is in the shade of the wing somewhat in the medal from the leading edge to the trailing edge. Far enough away from the engine and prop slip stream so as to be in fresh un heated air and directly into the air stream to get as good a temp. reading as was allowed. What works for us may not work for you as there are a lot of panel set-ups out there and you need to think through you system and it's style and your needs and wants.
Hope this helps, yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Plus one for inboard wing inspection cover. Aft fuselage under stabilizer may get artificial heating from exhaust. May be attitude/speed/rpm-dependent.

Plus one for inboard wing inspection cover. Aft fuselage under stabilizer may get artificial heating from exhaust. May be attitude/speed/rpm-dependent.

i talked to the guy that did most of dynons test flying and he had three different probes on his RV. he suggested on the fuse under the stab. thats where I put mine and it is not affected by exhaust.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Back