What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What else do you fly? Fun thread.

Skyhook

Well Known Member
Talking to another experimental-type the other day, I found out I was in the company of a 747 driver for a major line. That, together with my restless curiousity got me wondering what all these RV drivers do as well.
As for my own current situation, other than flying my -4, I am enjoying the occasional right seat duties on a King Air and have been known to take hops in a couple of ultralights (Lazair, Kolb).
At present, I am thinking of getting some Magni (gyroplane) experience this spring. Now, that ought to be something.
So, how about the rest of you? Care to share??

While building my -7, I am alternating my flying between the Citabria and Cherokee 6. I expect this should prepare me for taildragger landings and speed that I can expect from the -7. A good combination, I think. I don't fly for a living, just for fun.

:cool: CJ

What Else Do You Fly?

I'm a lucky guy with half share each in a Pitts S-2A and a 1976 Lance. The Lance was painted and interior redone in the last few years. It's nicely equipped for IFR but no panel GPS. Sure love that Garmin 296. A good friend has a Cessna 185 which we fly together fairly often. Now that's a hard plane to land! His Cessna has a full panel on both sides - probably the best equipped tail dragger I've seen. We had a ball loosely formating from Tuscon to Baja and whale watching a few years ago. Hope to do Baja with the RV-8 when done. This is fun idea you started. Bill Dicus

What else do you fly

Started flying in a C-182, then a C-177, next a Bellanca Super Viking, back to a C-182, then an RV-6A, now while building an RV-10 I fly a C-182. Initial flying was for a skydiving operation I owned and operated, then for fun, cross country travel, and light business travel. Flying the RV-6A was mostly for fun and really quick cross country trips. Can't wait to get the RV-10 in the air, then I will sell my part interest in my C-182.

Russ Daves

Flying an ultralight AeroTrike Scout ZU-BUX, for 4-5 years now +/- 300 hours, thought it is time to upgrade to some high performance flying, ordered a RV7 over Xmas 2004. :D :) ;)
microlight.jpg

What we fly

Hi guys. I'm a 34 year ag-pilot veteran currently flying an AT502 Air Tractor with a PT6-15 680HP turboprop on peanuts and cotton mainly. Around 15,000 hours doing ag and also a CFI. Visit www.airtractor.com and click on 502,
Regards,
Pierre Smith
Building RV6A (Yup, trike-tired of taildraggers) finishing up cowling/baffles

what I fly

I fly my dad's C-172 on occasion. I own a 1/3 interest in C-150. I fly to 150 most of the time, the other partners only fly it about 5 hrs. per year, (bfr). I fly it, on average, about 60 hrs. Everything is split 1/3, we each pay for our gas. One partner is an AI & a 747 driver, the other is an aeronautical engineer for the FAA. I'm building an RV10, tailcone finished, waiting on the wings, should be here this week.

Marshall

Second Plane,.?,.,l.,.??,,.

This is an offten discused topic in my hanger.
My second plane is a kit out of Canada, the North Star, www.customflightltd.com it is a wide Super Cub with a 180 HP.
I think a second aircraft after a RV should be a bush plane. RVs can do most ACRO,and good cross country, so an outback camper type aircraft is my choice.
For those on a budget look at the Rans 7, Kit Fox, Piper Tripacers/ Pacers/ Colts, ect. A Tri pacer converted to a tail wheel PA 20 is a good ride and is going for under 30 K.
Another Budget aircraft, for a second, is the Cessna 170/172 with a 180 conversion.
I am now flying a Cessna 180J. Have had it all over the US in the past year.
Wonderful traveling air camping machine, The ultimate AIRCamper...

Good thread

Last edited:
Funny, I was just thinking about this a while back. I curentley fly a Kitfox II and am building an RV9A. I love to fly to the back country and the 9 should get me there a lot faster,extend my weekend flying out.

I'm presently flying a C-182 with the Petersen STOL conversion kit and 260 HP. A friend bought it and I'm checking him out since he hasn't flown for 20 years. We had a nice flight around the mountains of British Columbia today. Cold and very clear! This thing has three STOL aerodynamic STC's, Petersen, Horton, and Micro Dynamics. Doesn't seem to land any shorter or slower than a stock 180 though.

I'm retired off the Boeing 767, 747,737, 707, C-130H, Convair 640, DC6-B etc.

I've owned a Cessna 180, (favorite) Pitts Special, (another favorite) and Citabria, (Not really a favorite). Now building an RV-8 with a partner. We are building up the tail feathers and waiting on the QB wing and fuselage kits.

Cheers, Pete

Last edited:
..I'm retired off the Boeing 767, 747,737, 707, C-130H, Convair 640, DC6-B etc." -Mustang

All that plus an 'etc.'! Wow. :D

I flew a C-185 with amphibious gear just enough to realize (kinda like your experience with all those STOL mods.) that compromises seem to come with speciality. We currently have a C-206 visit us here on a regular basis and that thing's STOL performance is impressive.

PS: I forgot to mention that in my qualification for 'Tug' pilot for gliders, I flew sailplanes around Elmira, NY a bit. Sailing is neat, but there's the support crew business (another compromise, sort of).

I am currently flying a Falcon 50 and a Falcon 100. For real fun, I fly an RV-3, and I have a Blanik glider. I also fly my friends Baron 55 and single seat glider when I can find the time...

I am a mushroom

I am a mushroom, they keep me in the dark and feed me bull excrement. Never been in a flying RV! Just reading what you folks have to say. I have had rides in other planes though. So I am building myself a 9A!

Warren
AHYUP.COM
90454 :cool:

other a/c

I own and regularly fly a Tri-Pacer for 9 years. I'll say it up front, I'm gonna miss that plane when I swap her for an O-320 for my -9A. Those old Pipers are good back country planes. Not fast but they carry 600 lbs plus full tanks. I also fly C-182s for the CAP.

Steve

I fly a 1946 Ercoupe 415C, also C172 way back when. I plan to take some dual in a C172 to wake my feet up (no rudder peddles in the Ecroupe) and then transition into my 6A.

Second plane ?? (if I ever finish the first:)

I agree with Jay - the next project following an RV should be a bush-type plane. Once my 7 is flying I would love to build a high-wing utility aircraft for family camping trips, float flying, etc. Have been reading lots about the Murphy Super Rebel / Moose. Anyone have experience with that line?

As for now - I rent the good ole Skyhawks, when time and $$ permit. Nothing fancy, but it gets me in the air!

Other aircraft

I have an Ultimate 12-200 in adition to my RV-4. I purchased it as I thought I wanted to get back into hard acro, but have not flown it much. It sure looks great in the hanger though.
Gary

Yes-The Important stuff- FLYING

Building,an airplane has taught me that even thro I get an immense satisfaction from creating something with my hands- creating a sucessful flight is more fun! So I break(rent) the budget and stay current in a Tiger AA-5B,and a 180 hp. C-172. I like the Tiger because it goes faster,has a castering nose-wheel (like my rv7a will),looks and handles a little like an RV.
I am a COMM.ASEL.jockey and love to take old folks from the retirement center where I work on breakfast or afternoon/night dinner flights along our beautiful suncoast here on the west side of Florida. I use the C-172 for the dinner flights.I enjoy how thriiled they are at the view from 1500'.
sam k.

I fly my RV-6 as much as I can and have a great time learning/practicing formation flying with other OVRVer's. I currently fly B-767's & 757's for a living. In the past I've owned 2 C-170's and was part owner in an Aztec. I love taildraggers with the first one I flew being the Beech 18. I also flew DC-3's for a couple years and loved it. It's still an irreplaceable airplane.

Other peoples RVs

What else I fly.

I fly other peoples RVs.

Helping RV builders, build, and them not current in RVs, makes me the one with the short straw when it comes to the first flight.

Some live out of state, so I have had to fly the time off before their RVs can go home. (I know the land to my west real good) So I have about 200 hours in someone elses RV

Last edited:
Share your flying

Scott
Thank you,

If, I could have had a chance to fly a Beech 18, AND a DC3s?,, Sweet.

You have had a good time flying.
Please...!!!
More of you, share with us want to bees, some of your experance.
Thanks
Scott Hersha said:
I fly my RV-6 as much as I can and have a great time learning/practicing formation flying with other OVRVer's. I currently fly B-767's & 757's for a living. In the past I've owned 2 C-170's and was part owner in an Aztec. I love taildraggers with the first one I flew being the Beech 18. I also flew DC-3's for a couple years and loved it. It's still an irreplaceable airplane.

Tsquare

Just finishing up a year in Afghanistan flying Apache helicopters (here's your rotorhead). Other aircraft include Twin Otter, DC-3, 737, CV-580, SD-330, BE-58P and 99, Huey, Cobra, Chinook, AW-660, Grumman Widgeon and Goose, C-150, 152, 172, 180, 182, 206, 210 and other light single and multi-engine airplanes. It's been a blast, but now just want to finish my -7 and have fun.

iv'e been flying a rv-4 for four yrs now. had a 3a before that. i just pick up a 47 luscombe 8e. what a change. it's lots of fun to fly but not a plane to go somewhere with. located in ny on long island, this winter really slowed down flying. getting ready to go to sun n fun.

dan carley
rv-4 n2275s

Keeping it up

I think this a fun thread.
Any one else fly RV s AND something else?
Thanks

I am in the tail end of getting my PPL. I have been flying mostly C172's My dad has a cessna 150 taildragger. I also have a few hours in that. We are going to have to sell the cessna soon to fund bit for our RV-7. So for a few years we will be renting planes.
I have not finished my PPL yet but I have been around planes my whole life and due to my job ( Aircraft E,I & R engineer ) I fly quite a lot so I have a fair bit of un logged hours in various aircraft up to PC-12 size.

Fly others

The list of others gets long but here goes:
C150
C152
C140
C170
C182
C310
P140
J3
Long Eze
Debonair
I've got over 100hrs in a gyro that I built N300EA
Many parts of a Long Eze around but all I do is work the nose gear and go varoom
What I want is a 8 with tail gear to fly
I've only got an Instrument Commercial pilots certificate so I'm trying to learn more
Lee

Smile it does your body good!

Stablemates

stablemates3ai.jpg

N3107X is my 1966 C-150F. It is the 2975th of 3000 C-150's produced that year. I have owned Xray since 1988, when it was totally refurbished and last painted. I have logged nearly 1000 hours in this reliable airplane. "Darla" my 2005 RV-6A sits in the background. She was recently awarded her airworthiness certificate and patiently awaits maiden flight.

I have been flying for a living for over 30 yrs... but I have NEVER flown just for fun (what's up with that?). Started with ROTC in C-150's and went to T-37/T-38's follwed by 16 yrs flying the F-4. ATP in a Lear and then B-727's and Airbus 300/310. I can't tell you how excited I will be to get this 8QB finished and get out and and just... FLY. You guys are my heros. But I'll be done in another year or so...
Check six!

Reheat....

F-4's? How cool is that! :cool:

Perhaps you could give us some "stories" sometime? I loved the F-4! Didn't I read somewhere that a few of them were/are still being used? Perhaps it wasn't the F-4, but I read that one of the older models was used during this round of action (in the beginning) in Iraq. I know the B-52's were used, but I thought maybe the F-4's were too? (in a very limited, specific role?)

Thanks,

I got into the RV out of pure necessity. I was flying a Beech 1900 for Mesa Airlines out of Farminton NM, but I live in Sierra Vista AZ. Trying to commute there on the airlines took about 12 hours, and most of the time an extra night away from home. The RV gave me about 4 more nights a month at home. I was lucky enough to get out of MESA, and now I am flying an Airbus A320 for America West.

Mark Bellingrodt
N9611C
RV-4 (O-320E2A) Catto 3 Blade

Started out in J-3 in 1960. Been flying Corporate since 1965. Currently fly Citation 501SP for work & RV7 for fun. Still love it.

Other Types flown

I've flown the usual Cessnas and Pipers that most of us learned on, and some of my best hours have been in cubs on floats, wheels and skis, but my one thrill of a lifetime for this non military guy was two hours in the back seat of a Canadian Armed Forces T-33. I was born in 1952, and the aircraft we were in was only one year younger than I was but it was a blast. The PIC was the brother of an old friend, and he let me do most of the flying except for the take offs and landings.

He was an instructor pilot and had me doing loops, rolls, inverted flight etc. I felt like I had been beaten with a stick at the end (4G pull up to do a loop for example) but the smile didn't go off my face for days.

Joe Hine
C-FYTQ
Fredericton N.B
Eastern Canada

Fast Airplanes Flown

My first airplane was a super fast J3 on floats! WOW no DODAH! I've got a niephew that flew those smoky F4Gs. Now all I want is a RV8.
Lee

Here is a pic of the Citabria:

DSCN1568.jpg

Still learning! 35 hours in the taildragger and counting!

I will be taking the Cherokee 6 to OSH this summer!

N8963N.jpg

The "SIX" belongs to my buddy. He is letting me mooch it for the week! Whatta great guy!

See you all at OSH!

I can't wait!

:D CJ

Other Peoples Aeroplanes

Flew other peoples airplanes made in Seattle and Toulouse; though -9 from Long Beach, which I also flew, was God's Gift to Pilots.
Now, while I am building my own to fly (RV-7) my good mate gives me free rein on his -8.
Pete.

Gary,
I believe the last action the F-4 saw was in Desert storm (F-4G, RF-4C), and some action in the interim to police the no-fly zone. They are all (U.S.) now on pedestals or giving shade to a small patch of Arizona desert, except for a few Heritage acft the USAF maintains. One of those flew a flyby at S/F.

Like Captain John, I am now trying to learn to fly a tailgragger by taking lessons in a Citabria... It's kicking my butt! Hard for an old dog like me to relearn to fly. Wish I'd learned in a J-3 like some of you have.

Cheers everybody!

Chuck

Chuck, Hang in there!

I feel comfortable in the TD now and crosswinds are routinely practiced and some are well executed!!!

:D

It has also allowed me to be more confident in nosedraggers too! I feel like I land the "SIX" better after having flown the Citabria!

;) CJ

Something completely different

A friend of mine and I bought an RAF 2000 gyroplane to complete our training in. Now I have added "Rotorcraft Gryroplane" to my license.

OK, I guess it's my turn.

This is my first plane. It was a 1974 Cherokee Flightliner (150 hp with removable jump seats), that we purchased in 1988. I had about 9 hrs in a Cessna 172 when we purchased it. I never liked the 172. My instructor, Jenny Dable, (Flies for Midwest Airlines now) was very excited about teaching me in my Cherokee, as she had learned in one. After about two hours of intro to the Cherokee, she soloed me in it. What a thrill. Later on in 1991, we STC'd the plane and installed a new 0-360 Lycoming and Sensenich prop. Definetely made the plane better. In 1996 we had it painted and a new interior fitted. The plane had 2200 TTAF and only 250 hrs on the factory new engine when I decided it was time to move on.This photo was taken the day I was delivering my beloved Cherokee to it's new owner. I wanted to build a plane and was looking for something simple and more recreational. We just weren't using the Cherokee and I guess I was just getting bored.

cherokee9xg.jpg

We purchased the kit for my SeaRey at the 1999 EAA Airventure. I thought this would be just the right plane for my first attempt at building and for some new kind of flying. The kit was fun and easy to build and water flying was a lot of fun. But the lakes in our area we mostly restricted and the range to get to better lakes was lacking and the plane just too slow. I took the plane up to the 2002 EAA Airventure and was awarded Outstanding Homebuilt SeaPlane. As much as I liked the SeaRey, it still wasn't the plane for me. Too little water flying and no viable travel range or speed. I always liked the RV's and considered a 6A QB kit. But as a first plane for me to build, I felt it might be too much. But after getting my feet wet (no pun intended) on the SeaRey, I knew I could do the new 7A QB kit with the new match hole technology. I put the SeaRey up for sale and a gentleman from Virginia bought the plane to fly it from his lake home.

searey0ff.jpg

The 7A was ordered at the 2002 EAA Airventure, construction started in late October '02, and completed in March, 2004. It was certificated on April 6, and I test flew it on April 7, 2004. With 25.4 hrs and Phase I completed, we took off for Colorado for Mountain Flying lessons and off to Lake Powell and the Grand Canyon in May, 2004. This is truly the nicest plane I have ever flown (and the only 7A I ever flew). This is a keeper!!!

Roberta
N2447A

hegyrv7a22ru.jpg

All three of my planes were Madrid Red, Insignia White, with Black striping. These are my Signature Colors. Thank you.

Roberta

I've seen you buzzing around in that thing Jer while I was looking at your 8 to see how a couple of parts went together...

You looked like you were having fun!

The RV will be my 7th airplane. My first six starting from the first to the last are:

1970 Mooney M10 Cadet
1957 Piper TriPacer
1950 Cessna 140A
1990 Taylorcraft F21B
1975 Bellanca 7GCBC
1956 Cessna 170B

Previous planes:

* I earned my license in a Cessna 120 owned by my instructor at Palo Alto.

* Purchased a beater Piper Colt with three friends and flew it quite a bit for about three years. Sold it to someone who wanted to rebuild it as a show plane.

* Purchased an Ercoupe (with rudder peddals and the metal wings). Owned it for about a year until my partner took it on a LONG cross country and was called back for some sort of emergency. While away from the plane, a wind storm showed up, pulled tiedowns out of the ground and flipped the plane over. The plane was totaled and the FBO which was supposed to be keeping the plane in a hanger (ahem) payed for it.

* Started building a dragonfly. Things were going along great for a couple of years, then suddently I became hyper alergic to the structural epoxy. After trying various epoxies and gloves (and three trips to the hospital - I learn slow), decided homebuilding wasn't for me.

* Some good friends started talking with us about building an RV-10 together (she's an A&P and I've known him since I was 13). Eventually they decided it wouldn't work out for them, but I now had the bug again. Ordered an RV-7A emp kit and had a blast building.

* I really want Van's to make an RV-11 kit for my next project, but I doubt that will happen. :(

Back