Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-17-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Boy, Ed; how far do you need to go, to make yourself feel significant? ;-)

I suppose that a list of 4 taps (and no dies) could be considered a 'set', if you're using the strict mathematical definition. And I suppose that if you extract one sentence, out of context, from a multi-paragraph post, you can make yourself look like a higher authority.

To help you out, here's a HF set that is pretty cheap, and includes the sizes you list. Most vendors include a list of what's included, if you read before you purchase.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...set-63016.html

Charlie
My apologies if you took offence. I was certainly not trying to "make myself feel significant" and nor do I think myself a "higher authority".

But during the course of my build, like many here, I have gained knowledge and experience. In this case that knowledge differed from what you posted. I sought to provide the OP, and the many who may read this thread in years to come, with what I consider to be accurate information.

If everyone who posts their knowledge and experience here were put off by the thought of seeming condescending, then this site would wither and die.
Paid 2017
Old 05-18-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyconnell View Post
Ordered a Wiha PH #2 to see if those are worth it.
I use a nut driver handle with driver bits. ACR is enhanced engagement. Get a good brand and stick with them WERA is a good one as is Wiha. They won't work in tight spots, but I use a Dewalt driver with adjustable torque (release) and absolutely love it. Since using only driver bits far, far, fewer slips have occurred., and cheaper too. I have no hesitation about trashing the bit fror a new one.

SS is softer, so expect higher friction in the threads and more head slips. Use only for final assembly.

I always use the standard steel screws and lube to pre condition the nut-plates. Kind of a pain, but gotta be done. Then just throw away the conditioning screws.

Like Jon mentioned, Hanson makes a good T&D set, get one, you won't be disappointed. Should get one for less than $100.

RV-7
Op Lims in hand 12-7-17
1st Flight 1-27-18
2017 Dues Paid
Old 05-18-2018, 03:52 PM

So, stopped by the Ace store today, which is moving due to strip mall construction, and picked up Irwin Hanson 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, and 10-24 Taps plus a t-handle for ~$20. Good sale they have going on due to the move, saved about 40% off retail if my math is right.

Another question - there are "thread types" - NC, NF, et. al. I'm assuming I'll need the NC types? I passed on a larger size (the 1/4-28 or 5/16-24, I can't remember which) because it was an "NF" thread type.

I've read the Irwin ~40'ish page pdf on all there taps, and from what I understand the NF is some kind of "fine" thread, vs. the "coarse" thread.

p.s. - got the Wiha, and it's a bit longer than I had anticipated, but WOW! I'm totally ruined on screwdrivers now.
VAF dues paid monthly
ty.connell@gmail.com
N997TL reserved
RV-9(A?) empennage in progress

Last edited by tyconnell : 05-18-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
So, stopped by the Ace store today, which is moving due to strip mall construction, and picked up Irwin Hanson 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, and 10-24 Taps plus a t-handle for ~$20. Good sale they have going on due to the move, saved about 40% off retail if my math is right.

Another question - there are "thread types" - NC, NF, et. al. I'm assuming I'll need the NC types? I passed on a larger size (the 1/4-28 or 5/16-24, I can't remember which) because it was an "NF" thread type.

I've read the Irwin ~40'ish page pdf on all there taps, and from what I understand the NF is some kind of "fine" thread, vs. the "coarse" thread.

p.s. - got the Wiha, and it's a bit longer than I had anticipated, but WOW! I'm totally ruined on screwdrivers now.
Your smaller screws and bolts, #8 and down will typically be UNC.
Your larger screws and bolts, #10, AN3, AN4 etc... will typically be UNF.
There are a few cases, especially with engine stuff like studs, that you may have 1/4-20 UNC, but they are limited.
I don't have my manual handy, so others can correct me as required....

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.

Last edited by JonJay : 05-18-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
...by the way, ACE continues to improve their product offering. They still offer cheaper foreign tools, but have continued to bring in better USA made stuff too, at reasonable prices. ACE is also a retail cooperative with local store owners and stockholders. Harbor Freight is owned by an American Billionaire who made his money importing cheap machines and tools, primarily from China. I am sure China is very happy with him. I doubt we can calculate how many US manufacturers and workers companies like HF displaced. I wont shop there.
I'm SUPER bummed about them moving - it was a very convenient store location wise, and they seemed to always have what Home Depot didn't.

My harbor freight purchases have been limited to a few odd length "scrap bin" air hoses that were super cheap and in the 6'-8' length that I needed. I've purchased more than a few "cheap" tools, and can't remember one I've been happy with. Quality tools are just more fun to work with, and fun is what this should be about, right?
VAF dues paid monthly
ty.connell@gmail.com
N997TL reserved
RV-9(A?) empennage in progress
Old 05-18-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I'm SUPER bummed about them moving - it was a very convenient store location wise, and they seemed to always have what Home Depot didn't.

My harbor freight purchases have been limited to a few odd length "scrap bin" air hoses that were super cheap and in the 6'-8' length that I needed. I've purchased more than a few "cheap" tools, and can't remember one I've been happy with. Quality tools are just more fun to work with, and fun is what this should be about, right?
Ya, sorry, I deleted my comments about HF but didn't do it quickly enough. It borders on politics which is a VAF no no.

Anyway, you are off to a good start with good questions.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.