What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Fuel Sending Units?

txaviator

Well Known Member
My wing kit (-9) should ship before too long, and I need to let Van's know which type of fuel sending units I desire. The problem is that I am really stuck, trying to decide. Therefore, I figured I would post the question out to the masses for discussion. I know this has been debated before, but I am speaking specifically for a -9 (i.e. : non-aerobatics).

Capacitive Sending Units?

Float Sending Units?

Obviously, reliability is big on my list, as far as future maintainence. Also, is one more difficult to install / plumb versus the other?

Thanks for any suggestions! All are welcomed! :D

If you ever plan on using any mix of mogas and 100LL, go with float senders. The capacitance of different fuels is different, hence, the same level of mogas will read different than 100LL with capacitive senders.

Do a search on this forum using the obvious terms.

This subject has been kicked around a bit already, and if I recall, the consensus generally came down on the side of using the float units, although each of us make our own choice for our own reasons.

Float Sender

But will the float sending unit work with the new electronic engine information system instruments? I currently have a Grand Rapids EIS on a two stroke engine. I also installed the sending unit for measuring fuel quantity on that EIS. It required the capicatance fuel sender unit in order to function. If I choose to use one of the various electronic engine monitoring instruments out there will the float sender work on any of them? Or are they all going to require a capacitance sender unit like the Grand Rapids EIS?

RVBYSDI
Steve

Order the float type and if you change your mind later I'll sell you my capacitance type real cheap. They are brand new never installed.
Jim Wright wings RV-9A 90919

I would do float next time

I went with cap. (high tech. no moving parts). Installition was easy, but the problem is the most panels will require a cap. to resistive converter on each tank. These run about $80.00 or more each.

Kent

Go float

Go float is my vote, Gary--there's something to be said for simplicity and, in my research before I ordered my wings, I found far more capacitance people who wished they had used floats than float people who wished they'd done capacitance.

Steve

I went capacitive

I went the capacitive route because I like the mechanical simplicity of the installation. I did have to buy the converters to connect the capacitive plates to my EIS.

Mike Schipper
-9A finishing
www.my9a.com

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I am up in Portland this week for business, and as I always try to do when I am up here, I stopped by Van's. When I was there today, I informed them of the float sending units. I think that will work out best for me.

I can't wait to get my wings!!!!!!!! :D

Capacitive - And - Float Fuel Sending Units

Could I install both, Capacitive and Float ????

With the cost of todays fuels, I would speculate many would like to use Mo-gas.

Why couldn't I just leave one setup unhooked, but installed just incase down the road someone would like to have it ?

Back