Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > COMM
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2018, 03:50 AM

My recommendation for the N16 and Vega heads is to use two of them dedicated to the N16 or at minimum one.

Yes - it is possible to switch a Vega between V16 (COM) and N16 (NAV) use in flight. It just a matter of selecting the desired function in the head setup menu.

Not sure if this is really that practical - I suppose if you only need occasional use of the NAV it could be OK.

If you can - try and use a Razor head instead. That is much more practical if you want to use a single head for both COM and NAV.

Rainier
Old 10-22-2018, 01:51 PM

I'm pretty excited about the N16 and glad to see it on the distributors self ready to sell. I have a V16 and Razor head in my plane and plan to add the N16 soon; I want to get the plane flying first. The V16 works with my GRT Sport EFIS just like I hoped it would.

Great work Rainier!

I wish MGL made an audio panel...
Old 10-22-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
I'm pretty excited about the N16 and glad to see it on the distributors self ready to sell. I have a V16 and Razor head in my plane and plan to add the N16 soon; I want to get the plane flying first. The V16 works with my GRT Sport EFIS just like I hoped it would.

Great work Rainier!

I wish MGL made an audio panel...
You're in luck Rainer just announce a intercom/audio panel over on the MGL group: http://www.mglavionicsusers.org/foru...pic.php?t=3514

Quote:
I have just completed the hardware development for an intercom system to be called the A16 to be added to the already existing V16 and N16 portfolio.
Using the same form factor as the V16 the A16 is a modular system typically consisting out of a A16 and a Razor for control or it can be controlled by an EFIS. As usual documentation will be made available for integration into third party systems.

The A16 offers the following:

6 place intercom (6 microphone circuits, with individual VOX).
2 circuit stereo intercom (typical use: Pilot and Pax circuit), microphones can be individually coupled to each circuit. Isolate/Join functionality.
Each circuit able to drive up to 30 aviation headsets allowing the use of passive headsets (no mic, listen only).
2 x COM radio inputs and outputs (including 2 x PTT freely assignable to the radios).
4 x Auxiliary audio inputs for use with Nav radio, DME, annunicators etc.
1 x Stereo music input (can also be assigned as additional 2 x Auxiliary inputs).
1 x Black Box flight data recording output.
1 x Cockpit voice recorder built in as standard (records radio RX as well).
1 x Bluetooth audio, stream stereo music and connect to mobile phones (can connect to audio streaming source and separate phone at the same time, allows stick mounted call answer and hangup buttons).

The A16 comes in two flavors - with or without a marker beacon receiver.

I am releasing this for production now, expect availability early 2019.

Rainier
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Build Log

Last edited by odens_14 : 10-22-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:43 PM

rainier,
great timing on this thread. My microair tuning section is on its last legs and im looking for a new comm radio. i love what I am seeing in the V16 and the vega head will fit perfectly in the panel. now you come along with the N16 to fill the hole left by my old microair transponder!

my question is, have these radios been installed with a skyview and are there any issues with the combination. I was looking to install a dynon radio, but it would require a new panel to accept the rectangular heads that dynon uses. Plus dynon does not have a nav radio (even though i have been asking them about one for years).
since the protocol is there for the Sl-30 I assume that the freq push from the skyview will work just fine.

thanks

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Old 10-23-2018, 04:06 AM

News travels fast doesn't it ?

I have no reports at all related to a Dynon system and a V16 or N16 so the correct answer is: "I do not know".
There are two ways to talk to the radios: Native and via emulation of one of the protocols originating from the old days (I.e. SL30 and others).
Native is much more powerful and complete but requires dedicated support from the EFIS manufacturer. While we have a public ICD available it is highly unlikely in my opinion that Dynon will support this in future.

The Emulation (via the head) should work however - the old SL30 protocol is very basic and does not fully cater for the capabilities of the V16/N16 combination however everything that it does support is implemented.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 10-23-2018, 08:11 AM

To put this in simpler terms... The Dynon gear understands "SL30" communications protocol, so interfacing the radio to the Dynon will require the control head to do the translation between the MGL language (between control head and radio) and the Dynon that can only understand "SL30" language. Still leaves you with the ability to control the radio via the Dynon, but with access to fewer features than available through either an MGL EFIS or one of the MGL controllers.

Did I get that right, Rainier? (Do I get bonus points / free radios for getting it right?!?! LoL)
Old 10-23-2018, 10:59 PM

From reading the dynon install manual, they say the v6 and v10 do not transmit freq or status data via 232 so the skyview cannot display that info on the skyview, however, the skyview can send freq data to the mgl via sl30 protocol.Is this the same on the.v16? Or does v16 ( really the vega does the serial work I guess) send that data so skyview can display the data on it. Not having the freq on the dynon top bar is not that big of a deal, as it will be displayed on the vega, but it would be nice to have.

I have not seen any info on your site yet about the nav output of the n16, does it emulate the sl30 data output to feed the skyview hsi?

Thanks, I'm really interested in these units, they look like just what I'm looking for if I can get them to interface with the skyview.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

Last edited by n82rb : 10-23-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:16 AM

Yes you are quite correct - on the V6 and V10 we only implemented the SL40 and SL30 protocol for the direction TO the radio as that would not interfere with the native protocol.

The V16 itself as you guessed does not do the SLxx protocol, it is the head that does the work. In this case the protocol is fully implemented including things like frequency list support (does not seem to be used much however).

In the head's setup menu you will find an item called EMU - here you select the kind of radio you would like the head to emulate. Currently you can choose between SL40, SL30, GTR200, GTR225 and GNC255. Of course, for the SL30 and GNC255 you would need to connect a N16 Nav radio as well.

It works as you would expect. There is one (minor) limitation though which is also mentioned in the manual: Garmin's protocols make provision for only a single CDI while the N16 supports two of them (The N16's two simultaneous NAV channels are completely equivalent and equally capable).
So the head will use the CDI from the primary channel.

A situation where you would have two CDI's is if you would have one channel tuned to a VOR (with CDI set with the OBS knob) and the second channel would be tuned to ILS. So in this case the head's display will show you two CDI (and one vertical guidance for the glide slope). You would typically use this to approach a VOR radial (VOR tuned on the primary so the connected EFIS uses this as CDI) - as you get there and the localizer is live you would then briefly push the OBS knob which flips the channels - so now the localizer will drive the CDI on the EFIS as it is now the primary.

The case where you would be looking at two VOR stations - while theoretically we could have two CDI here as well this is not that practical (since you would now need two OBS settings). In the head this is resolved by giving the primary the CDI and instead of a CDI on the secondary VOR giving you both radial and bearing. So in this case there is no issue with the protocol.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 10-25-2018, 07:36 PM

Thanks, I think you just sold a couple of radios and Vegas heads.

Bob burns
Rv-4
N82rb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier Lamers View Post
Yes you are quite correct - on the V6 and V10 we only implemented the SL40 and SL30 protocol for the direction TO the radio as that would not interfere with the native protocol.

The V16 itself as you guessed does not do the SLxx protocol, it is the head that does the work. In this case the protocol is fully implemented including things like frequency list support (does not seem to be used much however).

In the head's setup menu you will find an item called EMU - here you select the kind of radio you would like the head to emulate. Currently you can choose between SL40, SL30, GTR200, GTR225 and GNC255. Of course, for the SL30 and GNC255 you would need to connect a N16 Nav radio as well.

It works as you would expect. There is one (minor) limitation though which is also mentioned in the manual: Garmin's protocols make provision for only a single CDI while the N16 supports two of them (The N16's two simultaneous NAV channels are completely equivalent and equally capable).
So the head will use the CDI from the primary channel.

A situation where you would have two CDI's is if you would have one channel tuned to a VOR (with CDI set with the OBS knob) and the second channel would be tuned to ILS. So in this case the head's display will show you two CDI (and one vertical guidance for the glide slope). You would typically use this to approach a VOR radial (VOR tuned on the primary so the connected EFIS uses this as CDI) - as you get there and the localizer is live you would then briefly push the OBS knob which flips the channels - so now the localizer will drive the CDI on the EFIS as it is now the primary.

The case where you would be looking at two VOR stations - while theoretically we could have two CDI here as well this is not that practical (since you would now need two OBS settings). In the head this is resolved by giving the primary the CDI and instead of a CDI on the secondary VOR giving you both radial and bearing. So in this case there is no issue with the protocol.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Old 10-26-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
Thanks, I think you just sold a couple of radios and Vegas heads.

Bob burns
Rv-4
N82rb
Thanks !
Yes - the V16 is most definitely outstripping our expectations.
And from some unusual sources too. Learned it is solving a long standing problem with the Russian M14 radials - these engines, while popular powerplants have a rather bad electrical ignition noise problem which seemed all but unsolvable. Until the V16 arrived that is...
From reports it seems the old, very large and hefty Russian VHF radios could cope fairly well with this but modern radios had no chance.

Nice to get this kind of feedback - a small reward for the hard work that went into designing the V16.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics