What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Engine Part Deletion/ Additions SDS EFI

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I've received this question a few times now from potential customers- what parts can they leave off/ out when ordering a new engine or having one built up when using our EFI/EI?

First, you need to have cylinders with the 1/8 NPT injector ports on top if you want to use our thread-in injector mounts. Alternately, some people have mounted the injectors in the lower primer ports but we're not sure about clearance issues on all engine types. The 3rd option is to use our weld-in mounts on the induction tubes.

Second, you'll need return fittings on your fuel tanks. We recommend -6.

Third, you'll require a Duplex fuel selector like Andair and others offer for an RV.

Parts which can be deleted from the engine:

1. Mags
2. Ignition harness
3. 18mm spark plugs (some manufacturers also offer heads with 14mm plug holes)
3. Servo or carb
4. Flow divider, lines, nozzles
5. Mag drive gears
6. Fuel pump pushrod
7. Fuel pump

Some manufacturers make accessory housings with no mag holes, specifically for using crank triggered EIs like SDS.

We suggest you also install a backup power source, either a 2nd battery or 2nd alternator.

I am not sure about the policies of Lycoming on EXP engines, whether they would delete these parts and credit you or not. I believe most independent builders will.

Last edited:
And if you really want to go the extra mile with a 540, you can leave off one of the accessory idler gears and shaft. You will need to add a cover plate to the shaft location to block the oil passage.

Last edited:
... 7. fuel pump.

And if you really want to go the extra mile with a 540, you can leave off one of the accessory idler gears and shaft. You will need to add a cover plate to the shaft location to block the oil passage.

Of course, thanks Mike. List revised.

Update. I talked to Aerosport and they said they automatically leave the legacy parts out when doing an SDS EFI quote.

Rhonda from BPE says they also have no issues leaving out any non-required parts and subtracting those from the build total.

Update. Lycoming tells me than can leave out any parts not required when using SDS EFI on their Thunderbolt engines.

Back