What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12" Registration Numbers not required in the Bahamas for Experimentals?

Noah

Well Known Member
Everybody knows you need 12" N numbers in the Bahamas, right?

Not so fast.

Per Bahamas regs, and AOPA (http://www.aopa.org/Flight-Planning/Mexico/International-Webinar-Questions-and-Answers.aspx), experimental aircraft are required to "Print, Carry, and Comply with the Bahamian form Standardized Validation of Special Airworthiness Certificate for Experimental, Registered Amateur-Built Aircraft".

That Bahamanian document is here:
https://www.aopa.org/-/media/Files/...mas_Approved_STANDARDISED_VALIDATION_2011.pdf

and it says, in number 3:
"3. The nationality and registration marks assigned to the aircraft by the FAA or TCCA shall be displayed on the aircraft in accordance with the requirements of the States"

My conclusion? There is a loophole for experimentals and 3" N Numbers are fine.

Am I wrong?

Anybody ever had a problem in the Bahamas because they only had 3" registration markings?

I thought the ADIZ (Air Defense Interception Zone) requirements trumped the marking size FARs for the trip across the water to the Bahamas...

(c) below overrides (b)... FAR 45.22

(b) A small U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago or a U.S.-registered aircraft for which an experimental certificate has been issued under §21.191(d) or 21.191(g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with §§45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 if:

(1) It displays in accordance with §45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high on each side of the fuselage or vertical tail surface consisting of the Roman capital letter “N” followed by:

(i) The U.S. registration number of the aircraft; or

(ii) The symbol appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft (“C”, standard; “R”, restricted; “L”, limited; or “X”, experimental) followed by the U.S. registration number of the aircraft; and

(2) It displays no other mark that begins with the letter “N” anywhere on the aircraft, unless it is the same mark that is displayed under paragraph (b)(1) of this section.

(c) No person may operate an aircraft under paragraph (a) or (b) of this section—

(1) In an ADIZ or DEWIZ described in Part 99 of this chapter unless it temporarily bears marks in accordance with §§45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33;

(2) In a foreign country unless that country consents to that operation; or

And, at the end of 45.29 Size of marks...

(h) After March 7, 1988, each operator of an aircraft penetrating an ADIZ or DEWIZ must display on that aircraft temporary or permanent nationality and registration marks at least 12 inches high.

Last edited:
Bahamas not the problem

Noah - there are certainly more experienced people here that will chime in, but I'll throw my 2 cents in. My understanding is that the Bahamas weren't the problem. I've flown there twice and didn't have an issue just having the 3" numbers. The 12" numbers are required by the US when crossing the ADIZ. Obviously, going outbound isn't a big deal. But inbound is... Both times I've done it, I used tape to make 12" numbers just prior to take-off from the Bahamas.

I was part of a flight of 4 that landed at Ft Pierce in 2011, and one of the guys in my flight was harassed by the customs guy inspecting our planes for not having 12" numbers. We all used electric tape to make 12" numbers, and 1 pilot removed them after landing while we were waiting to go into the customs building. He got a stern talking to by the customs agent about "proving" he had the numbers. And following Rosie's advice, we were all VERY NICE the whole time! :) On the second trip in 2013, we all waited until we cleared customs to take the tape off.

From Rosie: Absolutely concur with DBone...you need them coming in :)

Last edited by a moderator:
the easiest way to mark your plane is with 2 inch painters tape. the correct width, easy on , easy off. as is the case kims side of the plane is usually in better shape when we return back in the states. my side ends up with the speed look were some of the tape is starting to peal back in places. ;)

the easiest way to mark your plane is with 2 inch painters tape. the correct width, easy on , easy off. as is the case kims side of the plane is usually in better shape when we return back in the states. my side ends up with the speed look were some of the tape is starting to peal back in places. ;)

Painters tape is by far the best way to place temporary 12" registration numbers. The best part is that different brands of painters tape come in different colors so the temporary numbers don't have to look bad.

Here is a photo of one of the airplanes that joined us during our December 2013 Caribbean trip with temporary painters tape numbers while parked in Mayaguez (TJMZ) Puerto Rico:

DSC_0036_zps2179e36d.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:
N number size

Please your help clarifying the regs, because I'm working on tail number now for RV-7A.

1. If I fly USA only 3 inch tall numbers are sufficient for experimental and I could use anything taller than 3 inches for beauti purposes

2. If I cross boarder to Canada I'll need 12 inch N number to return?

thanks for clarifications

And don't forget guys, you can get by with 2" numbers on RV-3, -4, -6, IAW 45.22(b)(1).

Please your help clarifying the regs, because I'm working on tail number now for RV-7A.

1. If I fly USA only 3 inch tall numbers are sufficient for experimental and I could use anything taller than 3 inches for beauti purposes

2. If I cross boarder to Canada I'll need 12 inch N number to return?

thanks for clarifications

You only need the 12" numbers crossing the ADIZ. You don't cross it going to and from Canada.

Back