What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Final drill rudder skin to dimpled stiffeners?

ERushing

Well Known Member
When back-riveting the stiffeners to the rudder skin last night, I went past the edge of the back rivet plate (despite telling myself again and again to be careful and not do that!) and creased my rudder skin. It is un-usable. I'm re-ordering.

Now for the question - I have dimpled stiffeners and a brand new un-dimpled, un-final-drilled skin. How do I go about final drilling the skin? Just cleco the dimpled stiffeners and drill away? Just make really sure that I'm at 90 degrees?

Or do I re-order the stiffeners as well?

Thank you!

just final drill the skin by itself

I would just drill the skin by itself. Too much chance of widening the holes in the stiffeners. Not optimal, but I did several replacement parts that way and everything lined up nicely.

Just final drill the new skin, don't try to match drill, you could do more damage the good. I did it several times and the holes aligned just fine:)

Back rivet

If you're using a standard size back rivet plate and some sort of spacer, draw some extended back rivet plate lines so you have a visual reference. Only took one mistake like that for me too.:eek:

Like everyone has mentioned, Van's does a pretty good job with consistency of their hole locations. I would be surprised if you find an alignment issue with your new skins.

Perfect! Thanks for all the advice, guys!

And Larry - I agree, it only will take one time. (Jinx) I thought I was being careful. But between blue tape and black marker, I'll try to avoid making the same mistake again :)

Thanks Guys!

Back